how far would you drive for a quality pet shop?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

how far would you drive for a quality pet shop?

• 5 miles(or less)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 miles

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 15 miles

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • 20 miles

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • more? really? post it!

Votes: 45 60.8%

• Total voters

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
I'd go up to 20 miles but that's only because I live in a densely populated metro area & I have more than one or two options within a 20 mile radius.

If i live somewhere else, with less options nearby, that radius would easily widen.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
I used to drive about 100 miles and 45 min to go to a few of the huge LFS' and did that once a week while I was stocking my main tank...

Now I drive 30 miles every week for food, feeders, and equipment.

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
10-15 miles. Luckily I have a pet store I like a lot that's about a mile away for my saltwater tank. For my freshwater I go about 15 miles away.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I have one option within 20 miles of my house. It is a petsmart. So yes I would and I have driven more than 20, sometime up to 100 miles for quality fish you cant find at your average petstore.

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I think most of us would rather quit our day jobs and open a shop. I live outside Chicago, so I will drive up to an hour and half to a good shop in one of the suburbs. Unfortunately, I do not buy much. I look.

I love my local shop. It's 5 minutes away, but the sad truth is he can not compete with the internet. I try to be loyal and make large purchases like tanks and lights with him. I feel bad, but I can get 4 times as much filter media and twice as much food for the same price.

I would be scared to depend on traveling customers. You would need something unique like "killer" stands and filter set-ups and an extraordinary showroom. I have always thought that the majority of sales at a small shop are the customers that do not share the same knowledge and passion that people on this forum have. I am afraid that we are the minority and the majority just look at replacing dead fish as a 'consumable expense'.

hage0245

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Minnesota, baby!
Real Name
Shane
I actually have a small business one mile from my house called Pet Supplies Plus. They have a "fish guy" that comes in there a few times a week to take care of their 10 or so small tanks. They had dwarf puffers a while ago! No plants, and their most recent inventory was a 24" Coralife T5 setup for $115.....I mainly buy Hikari fish food and filter media from them.

I also have a great LFS about 20 minutes away from me, but I would gladly drive further.

KIM_TMA

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Arkansas
I drive roughly 68 miles one way to my lfs. I want quality cuz you get what you pay for and if the 2 lfs that are only about 10-15 mile drives from me didn't have such poopy fish I would shop there but there store stinks and they always have dead fish in the tanks and they only want to give you a 24 hr warranty on your fish. Where the furthest fish store gives me 2 weeks. Distance is NO issue when it comes to what I put in my tanks.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I answered 20+ because we really have nothing here to be considered "quality". The closest one is 23 miles from me, expensive as all get out, immensely well-stocked and clerks abound to wait on you hand and foot. Every tank is a 50bow-front and full of fish. I have never seen a dead/sick fish in there. So many choices it'll make your head spin.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd order online over burning up a half tank of gas driving around, but that's just me. ;)
Luckily for me, there is both a Petco and Petsmart a couple of miles from where I work that I hit up sometimes on my lunch break when I need a few supplies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store