My fishless cycle thus far...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eco23

AC Members
Aug 3, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
I agree with rbishop about doing a massive pwc to restore the natural value of your tap water. pH crashes can be fairly common in low alkalinity water. Normally it occurs at the tail end, and does have the possibility of basically pressing the pause button for some time. I've seen examples of multiple pH crashes basically preventing cycles from completing. The nitrIfying bacteria use the buffers in the water during conversion...and when you're pumping 4ppm through the nitrogen cycle, the bacteria can chew through the buffers pretty quickly. It definitely appears you have low kH, and if crashes continue to happen, it may be worth considering adding a small bag of crushed coral or aragonite into the filter until the cycle is done in order to keep the pH stable. You can always remove the CC from the tank once cycled so it doesn't alter water chemistry...but with low enough alkalinity it may be worth permanently running a small amount to maintain your levels so you don't experience crashes once the tank is stocked.

asphaltblues

Chief Grump
Jul 10, 2011
N/E Connecticut... The "Quiet Corner"
Real Name
Eric
OK... my newest results after I would estimate as an 80% WC... Ph 7.2 (much better)... Nitrite is still off the chart... and nitrate I would say was between 40-80 ppm... any new thoughts... do I just wait it out now... do another WC in a couple days? Also there is no ammonia in there at the moment... should I spike it again?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Wait 24 hrs after your 80% water change then test for ammonia. If none is present, dose your tank to get to a 1 - 2ppm ammonia level.

What temperature are you keeping your tank at? Are your filter(s) also running?

asphaltblues

Chief Grump
Jul 10, 2011
N/E Connecticut... The "Quiet Corner"
Real Name
Eric
OK... In the last 5 days... I have done a 50% wc.. and 80% wc... and a 90% wc... Ph keeps spiking... currently 7.2... Nitrites still through the roof... and Nitrates are at about 40ppm... why aren't the water changes doing anything to lower Nitrite and Nitrate levels... Or maintain a neutral Ph for that matter... I tested water straight from the tap... Neutral Ph... 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate... Just wanted to be sure the test kit (API Master) wasn't defective... Ideas? I'm going into my 5'th week and am getting frustrated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store