Any plant success?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rachel Cherie

AC Members
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
I am kind of sick of having to replace plastic plants after a few months (lots of algae and nothing to eat it). I have heard that there aren't many commercial brackish water plants, and have (so far) not heard any success stories. Has anyone had any luck with brackish plants? I keep my SG 1.010 +/- .002. If not... what about algae eating fish? I have heard nerite snails, but have a puffer, not to mention how hard they are to come by (here in Texas). So... anyway, I want some plants (it sounds fun).

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I don't do brackish myself but I know Java Ferns, anachris, val's, anubias are tolerant of salt not sure how far you can push the SG on them all though. Mangroves will work for sure, many of the marine grasses will do fine in brackish like turtle, star and shoal grass. I think some Caulerpa and halimeda may work as well. Depending on Algae type Mollies may eat it.

Rachel Cherie

AC Members
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
Well thank you for the replies and information! I have done a lot of web searches as well, but I was really hoping to hear from someone who has actually had success. I have read many articles that say that these plants can be grown in brackish. BUT when I find people talking about it, it seems most of these plants don't make it and wilt. That's why I was asking if anyone here had any personal success stories.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
My only hands on experience growing anything in brackish water is mangroves, I grow them out in a small container @ around 1.011-15 untill big enough to be moved to the sump. I would go with Red's, I'm currently having difficulty getting some blacks i got to grow.

Rachel Cherie

AC Members
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
Do mangroves need to be near the surface? Don't they grow out of the water?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
yeah the roots can be submerged but you'll want the leafy parts above the surface. Works and looks good on open top setups but may not be an option if your running a hood or other top.

Rachel Cherie

AC Members
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
:/ my set up isnt really capable of those. I went ahead and got some Anacharis and java moss today. They have both been referred to as basically "weeds" in the tank. So I'm hoping for good things with these. If I manage to do alright, I will probably try other things. If anyone wants to know how I'm managing with mine (and I have a long-time brown thumb with above water plants) I will be happy to let you know how these fair me (<-----bad with plants).

GOJIRADOR

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
I wish I lived near a brackish water habitat. I've read that there are a bunch of brackish plants out there, but they simply haven't been introduced to the trade yet.

Rachel Cherie

AC Members
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
Im pretty sure I do, but I think its all protected (illegal to take the plants).... maybe I have no idea what Im talking about, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store