Please Help ID this growth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JeepinEd

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
I've had this tank for over 20 years, with the same live rock, and am still learning. It's a Fish Only tank, currently with 2 occupants. A Coral Beauty and a B&W Damsel. I had several other fish that lived for years in my tank. When my several years old box fish died, a couple of years ago, it killed most of my fish (another learning experience).

I recently replaced the Fluorescent lights in my tank, with a Fluval LED Reef light bar. Last week, while cleaning the tank, I notice one of the smaller live rocks has several new pink stems growing out of it. The largest stem, located an the other end of the rock, has branched into a Y shape (picture attached). Can anyone help me identify what this is?

Tank Critter.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality.
I'm always amazed that after all this time, new things will suddenly appear. About a year ago, what I believe to be Red Sea Lettuce started growing in my tank.

Thanks.

Tank Critter.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sponge.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

JeepinEd

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
Thanks for the replies so far.
It would be interesting, if these were sponges. I don't think i've ever had a sponge in my tank.
Here is a different angle, showing the other side of that rock.
Again, sorry for the poor photo quality.

Tank Pic.jpg

Tank Pic.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Touch them. If they are soft/bend, they are sponges.

Sponges grow out of nowhere and they can disappear as fast as they show up. Some will come an go as conditions are favorable for them.

JeepinEd

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
Touch them. If they are soft/bend, they are sponges.

Sponges grow out of nowhere and they can disappear as fast as they show up. Some will come an go as conditions are favorable for them.
They are soft, so I think you're right. They are sponges.

Pretty cool.

Thanks for all the input!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Welcome. They're pretty.

JeepinEd

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
Hey guys,
Just wanted to post an update on the progress of the "sponges".
They seem to be doing well, although lately, I'm having to remove algae that wants to start growing on them.
Check it out:
P8100120.JPG

P8100120.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store