Female Krib is bullying Pristella Tetras. Any remedy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I bought a small juvenile Krib on Wednesday. She's very comfortable in my 10g tank. At an adult size of maybe 3", she may get too big. She would be fine if she stayed the same size as she is now.

I have no caves per se, but she has some dark corners that she has adopted. She is somewhat aggressive, being a cichlid, and she is keeping the Pristilla Tetras in a small school in the corner. I saw her pursue and lightly nip one of the tetras. Maybe this is territoriality and the solution is a bigger tank. I have been advised to get a bigger tank, probably on the basis of adult size. I'm concerned about this state of affairs. Any feedback welcomed.

Steven

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
This is probably due to the tank being too small for a krib, whatever her size, and especially when other fish are included. But aside from that, she might do this in larger tanks too. All cichlids are territorial to varying degrees, and individual fish can be more or less. Environment does play a major role in fish behaviour.

If this were me, I would either return the cichlid and proceed with suitable fish in the 10g (and you may be at the max now, if you have tetra), or get a larger tank. And for this cichlid species, a 30-inch tank like a 20g long or a 29g is minimum.

Byron.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I will return the fish. I'm not prepared to start a larger tank, because my landlord looked sideways at my 10 gallon as it is. If it was my own place I would be able to consider a larger tank. Or I could maybe get a tank with a stand (the 10 is on the counter) but I chose this size tank because the volume of water is relatively small and only weighs around 80 pounds.

It's true, I can't allow the situation with the Pristellas to persist. Too bad, I just made a "cave" out of a plastic prescription bottle (she hasn't used it), and, being a cichlid she is very interesting to watch. But this has obviously been a mistake that must be corrected.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
What type of fish are you into? There are plenty of little fellas to fit in your tank.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Well, I was thinking of a killifish, or some kind of dwarf rainbowfish if there are any, but I think it's going to have to be a non-schooling single fish.

I watch the Pristella Tetras swim around but I'd like to have something with interesting habits to watch. I suppose I could put in a small school of dwarf corys. Thanks for asking, though, and suggest away.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I dont know the scientific name of it but look up clown killiefish or rocket killiefish. Both are common names for the same fish.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
First, what are your water parameters? Pristella Tetra is a species that can do well in quite a range from very soft to moderately hard, because it is found in such throughout its extensive natural habitat. Not all fish are so accommodating. And killifish can be very particular, depending upon species.

Another thing, how many Pristella do you have? A 10g is not much space. And like all tetra, a group is necessary, here I would say five minimum and no more than six or seven. But adding other fish with these has to be well thought out. Corys of any species would be fine. In my experience the "dwarf" species are very sensitive to water conditions, and require a sand substrate. All corys are better over sand, but the three "dwarf" species especially so.

Byron.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I finally caught the little Krib, after probably two hours. I was going to ask for suggestions, but then I had the idea of baiting the net with a little flake food. Then I sat and watched, with the net resting on the bottom of the tank. Sure enough, after a while the Krib swam into the net, and bam! I had her. Hooray! And the plants aren't too ripped up. Now I'm taking her to the lfs, who I've already called.

Byron, I'll reply when I get back.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I finally caught the little Krib, after probably two hours. I was going to ask for suggestions, but then I had the idea of baiting the net with a little flake food. Then I sat and watched, with the net resting on the bottom of the tank. Sure enough, after a while the Krib swam into the net, and bam! I had her. Hooray! And the plants aren't too ripped up. Now I'm taking her to the lfs, who I've already called.

Byron, I'll reply when I get back.
OK...just avoid any impulse buying of fish, lol. Research, research, research can save a lot of trouble, and save the poor fishies. B.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
First, what are your water parameters? Pristella Tetra is a species that can do well in quite a range from very soft to moderately hard, because it is found in such throughout its extensive natural habitat. Not all fish are so accommodating. And killifish can be very particular, depending upon species.

Another thing, how many Pristella do you have? A 10g is not much space. And like all tetra, a group is necessary, here I would say five minimum and no more than six or seven. But adding other fish with these has to be well thought out. Corys of any species would be fine. In my experience the "dwarf" species are very sensitive to water conditions, and require a sand substrate. All corys are better over sand, but the three "dwarf" species especially so.

Byron.
pH = 6.7
N = 5ppm NO3
GH ~ 7
KH = 3
Planted = 8/10

I have 6 adult Pristella tetras of which 1 is a runt. No other fish in the tank, but some snails, which are running out of food I think. Otherwise maybe the pH.

Substrate is black sand over MGOCPM. Show me the ways of the Force, Master Yoda. :) I think that this has been a hard lesson and I agree that it pays to research well before buying, especially in a planted tank. And getting netted has got to be a bad experience for a fish. Shouldn't happen.

About the corys, I wouldn't put 5 or 6 juliis in a 10g - I think that would be overstocking (in my sense of the term), plus I don't think enough food would reach the floor of the tank to feed them. S'pose I could buy some kind of sinking tablet or maybe my Betta pellets, but I really don't want to put that much more bioload on the tank. I can rationalize dwarf catfish. Just some of my opinions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store