Anyone working with Badis Badis, Licorice, Croaking or Sparkling gouramis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Just wanted to see if anyone was working with any of these species? I'm really considering doing a set up for one of these types of fish and wanted to pick anyone's brain who has some. I did Coakers years ago and spawned them several times.

Thanks in advance

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't say working with them, but we have badis badis, croaking gouramies and redback paradise fish in tanks right now. The badis badis haven't spawned successfully, but the gouramies and paradise court and spawn regularly, with a few fry surviving from each batch (community setups, not trying for survival).

All the tanks are kept around 72, have plants, get 50% changes every weekish, fed lightly.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have kept Licorice, Croaking and Sparkling but have never bred them. Licorice and Croaking would need a bigger tank (15-20 gal). I have kept Sparkling Gs in 10gals (1 Male and 3 Females).

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
I've had sparkling before. Always in huge tanks lol I had sparkling gouramis breeding in my 90g community, heavily planted with co2 injection, lots of floating plants. I plan to use 10g species tanks this time for sparkling and licorice.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Aren't croaking and sparkling gourami the same thing?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Aren't croaking and sparkling gourami the same thing?
Yes, and no. :)

Trichopsis pumila is the sparkling or dwarf gourami. It croaks, and maxes out around 2 inches and is sometimes called the dwarf croaking gourami.
Trichopsis vittata is the croaking gourami. It gets about twice the size of the pumila, and also. IME, the croaking gourami is more peaceful in a group, but harasses tankmates more.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yes, and no. :)

Trichopsis pumila is the sparkling or dwarf gourami. It croaks, and maxes out around 2 inches and is sometimes called the dwarf croaking gourami.
Trichopsis vittata is the croaking gourami. It gets about twice the size of the pumila, and also. IME, the croaking gourami is more peaceful in a group, but harasses tankmates more.
And this is why it is always prudent to use Latin or scientific names where possible. They seldom change and will point to a specific species when there is one.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Thanks for the comments. I'll be preparing a nice 15 with enough duckweed to choke a mule for some Sparklings. Next question, anyone know a good source to obtain them?

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
I haven't found breeders advertising directly, especially that I could drive to. Actually my fish store has sparkling gouramis regularly and many can order them in if you ask. They are becoming a lot easier to get. Azgardens.com has sparklings and licorice for way too much money. It's my plan if all plans fail. Liveaquaria.com has inexpensive sparklings if the shipping doesn't kill you but their licorice gouramis are over $10 each. There's an occasional listing on ebay and aquabid. Probably more in a few months when the weather is a bit better for shipping live anything to much of the US.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
MsJinkzd is my go-to source for quality stock. She doesn't have them listed right now, but can probably order them if you ask.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store