OMGoodness, never seen the aquariast community disagree like this.... salt & plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Will a little bit of freshwater salt hurt plants?

• No, it's like spinach to popeye

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it will destroy your plants and your life

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Will a little bit of freshwater salt hurt plants?

After searching forums and Googling, I've never seen aquariasts disagree more than on this topic.

I guess I should ask, does anybody on here do salt w/o problem, how much salt, what kind of plants, replenish rate?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It depends on the species of plant. Some are salt tolerable (up to brackish conditions) and some are extremely sensitive.

Reactions: dereks

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Pretty sure we'd have dead oceans and brackish zones if all plants died in contact with salt?

Reactions: dereks

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Yea guess I should have mentioned. I know the java fern will grow in brackish. How about the sword? I also have a moss ball. Theres another one I'm gonna post a pic of, gimmie a sec.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Please explain what you mean by 'freshwater salt'.

There are a wide variety of plants that are tolerant of brackish conditions. There are many that will tolerate it in the short term but not the long term. I've treated ich successfully in planted tanks using salt and high temps with no major damage to plants, but I wouldn't say that means the plants thrived in those conditions, just that they didn't die.

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
By "freshwater salt" I mean salt specifically made for freshwater aquariums.

Thanks!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
BTW, there's a piece of water sprite or wisteria or something in there, that has died off. I'm actually kinda thinking maybe the snails ate those plants.

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
So the total list:

Java fern
Amazon sword
Moss ball and...
What is pictured above

Thanks!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have to ask why you want to add salt. To treat ich or some other suspected disease? If so regular table salt is much less expensive than "aquarium salt". I wouldn't use either on a regular basis. If it's to treat disease then be sure to add it to dosage strength gradually over a couple days (maybe am & pm) to avoid osmotic shock. Then, again, when tx is done, gradually lower it by daily (or so) water changes.

If you want to use "salt" to keep, say livebearers, in soft water; a GH & KH booster maybe be a better & safer way to go. Most plants (but not all the high maintenance kinds... not yours) can handle high(ish) GH & KH.

So what's with the salt?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store