Feeding mosquito larvae to my rosetail betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
You can also freeze any extra larva for winter feeding too.
Yes, I have done this too. Thanks for watching my video.
I have a large plastic storage container for which I made a cover out of cheap wood furring strips and plastic screen. If I cant get daphnia started, I leave the cover off and get the mosquitos started. Once I have larvae, I put the cover on to prevent escapees. If I see adults hanging on the screen, I hit it with a hose sprayer before I take the cover off. That usually takes care of the few winged adults that appear. If you use a large mesh net, you will get the larger larvae and the small ones will slip through to grow a little more. you can always use a brine shrimp net if you want small ones to feed fry. Be sure to dechlorinate your water if using tap water. If you use up all of the larvae, just leave the cover off for a few days until you get more larvae. Most fish love mossies, and some, like bettas and killies, have evolved to eat them with their up turned mouths.
It's winter where I live. I can't wait for summer. Killifish , mossies, and breeding. . Thanks for watching my video.

TheWeirdo

AC Members
Apr 5, 2017
Interesting, the betta has beatiful colors and the larvae looks nutritious.
Poor man´s daphnia LOL.
I may try it out, hopefully I am responsible enough to to infestate my whole community with mosquito.

Reactions: The Dave

TheWeirdo

AC Members
Apr 5, 2017
Yeah, I guess I will try it out! I am sure my Mollys and Barbs will go nuts for some live food. Is there any risk of introducing diseases to the aquarium?

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
Yeah, I guess I will try it out! I am sure my Mollys and Barbs will go nuts for some live food. Is there any risk of introducing diseases to the aquarium?
I've been doing it for the last 25 years and I've never had a problem. Don't get them from ponds/ditches/puddles etc. As long as you put out clean water, in clean buckets, there will be no diseases that can be introduced to your fish. That's an old internet myth that's been going around for a while. Insects don't carry or transmit fish pathogens. Do watch out for dragonfly and damsel fly larvae though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store