How to switch filters without losing good bacteria? Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
Hey guys!

Here's some info:

I bought a Topfin 10 gallon starter kit, which came with the filter as well. Something like a Topfin Whisper power filter, something or other? I think maybe it could be the Topfin Power Filter 10.

Anyways, so it came with that filter, and that's all fine and great, but it wasn't moving the water around as much as i would have liked, and honestly I just didn't like how bulky and ugly it was. It wasn't really doing what I wanted and I kinda knew prior to getting this starter kit that I wanted an Aquaclear filter instead.

So today I finally got the aqua clear filter I wanted. It's the AquaClear 20.

However, my Topfin one has all of the good bacteria built up on it, and I don't wanna just remove the whole thing and start the tank with just the Aquaclear one. I feel like my fish would NOT like that one bit.

So currently, I have both running for the time being. Just until the Aquaclear can develop the bacteria it needs.. Is this the only way to do this? Is there a more efficient way?

They're two different types of filters, so I can't exactly fit the new filter pieces behind the old piece, if that makes sense..

Maybe this isn't the way to do this. I'm not sure, this is my first tank! Any ideas?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd run them side by side for a while, 2-4 weeks. Or, if possible, cut the media from the Top Fin filter and stuff it in the AC filter.

Reactions: fishorama

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would second moving the media.. especially any carbon and anything that's in there currently... bacteria will grow on that too.

However you proceed, be sure to test your water frequently until all is well.. so you make sure that there is no detectable ammonia or nitrite.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How long has the TopFin filter been up and running? Do they still have the thin piece of black sponge for bio media? If that piece of black sponge has had the filter running through it for a good amount of time (4-6 weeks), you could fold it up and place it in the AquaClear 20 media basket. Provided you don't have a huge bio load in this tank, you should be good to go, verified by your test kit of course.

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
How long has the TopFin filter been up and running? Do they still have the thin piece of black sponge for bio media? If that piece of black sponge has had the filter running through it for a good amount of time (4-6 weeks), you could fold it up and place it in the AquaClear 20 media basket. Provided you don't have a huge bio load in this tank, you should be good to go, verified by your test kit of course.
The top fin has been running for, hmm, about 3 weeks or so now. My tank cycled really fast for some reason!

The filter in the TopFin is just a giant packet of carbon i believe covered with floss..

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If it won't fit, as-is in the new filter... I would put the floss and carbon into a filter bag and add that.

There should be bacteria everywhere else in the tank.. but at this point I wouldn't expect there would be enough.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What fish or other animals do you have right now? Cycling "really fast" makes me worry a bit...How often have you tested? What are your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Water change schedule?

If lightly stocked, I do as Bob said, 4 weeks of both filters running...but you can leave both & be sure there's no beneficial bacteria "crash"...& be ready for your next tank...it's an addictive hobby, lol.

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
What fish or other animals do you have right now? Cycling "really fast" makes me worry a bit...How often have you tested? What are your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? Water change schedule?

If lightly stocked, I do as Bob said, 4 weeks of both filters running...but you can leave both & be sure there's no beneficial bacteria "crash"...& be ready for your next tank...it's an addictive hobby, lol.
Well, Currently I have 6 barbs (tiger, rosy, and green), which, yes, I know, not good. I realized this AFTER getting the advice from LFS that "Well, you know, the 1 inch per gallon rule applies so you should be fine!". Yeah, no. The tank is too small for them, I plan to take them back as soon as i figure out what I want to get to replace them (I don't want the tank to be dormant and end up re-cycling).

Anyways. 0 for ammonia and nitrite, unsure of nitrate currently but plan to go in sometime later this week! I test it about once a week. Water changes, i do about 20-30% a week, sometimes twice a week, since the filters are doing so much work already, the tank really doesn't get unbalanced or gross.. Or so I've noticed, anyways.

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
I'm actually considering keeping both filters atm, they seem to be making my tank so much nicer when working together!

The Habitat

AC Members
Oct 7, 2017
Thats what i was gonna suggest . run both filters permanently. also i would definitely rehome the barbs and maybe make it a betta tank with a couple snails and shrimp or get a school of nano fish..ember tetras or celestial pearl danio would probably work with a school of 6. Good Luck...not rehoming the barbs sooner than later could possibly get ugly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store