999 questions for a new setup :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Krall

AC Members
May 6, 2005
*Discus*. Better search results that way. Discus can and will eat cardinals. So will angels. Just a thought to keep in mind. There are a huge variety of discus available. Be prepared to spend and research in order to get quality animals, preferably ones that were bred locally--best odds of them acclimating well to your water conditions.
I know they are difficult to keep. I think I was around 15 when I last tried and failed. A lot...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No clue how long ago that was, but a lot has changed in discus keeping. Like altum angels, what were once considered finiicky, hard to keep animals are now within reach because the vast majority of animals are being bred in captivity. This means a few things, like feeding, is less of an issue. The animals will take prepared foods. They are fine in a wider range of water chemistry. I'm in the PA/NJ area, and I know several people who keep them in planted tanks with minimal 'extra' care, and there are several hobbyist breeders in the various local clubs as well as importers bringing in fish from Germany and elsewhere.

Reactions: Krall

Krall

AC Members
May 6, 2005
No clue how long ago that was, but a lot has changed in discus keeping. Like altum angels, what were once considered finiicky, hard to keep animals are now within reach because the vast majority of animals are being bred in captivity. This means a few things, like feeding, is less of an issue. The animals will take prepared foods. They are fine in a wider range of water chemistry. I'm in the PA/NJ area, and I know several people who keep them in planted tanks with minimal 'extra' care, and there are several hobbyist breeders in the various local clubs as well as importers bringing in fish from Germany and elsewhere.
Why it was a long time ago lol. About 25 years I guess. Sorry I ran out of fingers to calculate with.

Ah good to know, thanks. I think when I kept them they only ate frozen foods, you had to prepare brine shrimp, water had to be upper 80s and perfect 7.0 pH

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Why it was a long time ago lol. About 25 years I guess. Sorry I ran out of fingers to calculate with.

Ah good to know, thanks. I think when I kept them they only ate frozen foods, you had to prepare brine shrimp, water had to be upper 80s and perfect 7.0 pH
They still need the warmer temp, but the rest will be dependent on the source, and can be 'fudged' a bit for the pH. :) If you're interested in really nice fish, both Discus R'Us and Discus Hans have excellent reputations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store