My tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ally & Rob

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2018
This is just a corner of my new tank. I have my Veil Tail Marble Angelfish in a community tank of about 30 Dalmatian Molly, 1 male betta, 1 sumo loach, 1 pleco, 2 goldfish, 1 balloon head gold fish, 1 octoinclus catfish and one cory catfish. There are some ghost shrimp in there as well for food if they choose, survival of the fittest I guess lol. So far everything is good and everyone is getting along fine. The molly school often, and the betta has more room than it did in the 10 gallon with a few molly I had set up before. I am planning on getting/growing water lettuce. Do you happen to know anything about that? I am new as of today and also don't know how to create my own thread.

Hope this information helps!

tank.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry, past my early west coast bedtime, but goldfish, a lot of mollies...in what size tank was this? This is the same tank from almost a year ago? I'm thinking not...since this was from last year.

I'm having trouble following after such a very long time...but yeah, it was kinda negative, if this was your thread & you haven't changed anything in all this time beside you user name. What fish are left? How are they doing?

If this isn't your old post, start a new 1. In the upper right corner of each forum is a "post new thread" blue tab. Please use it to help us understand what you need help with.

Tell us all about your tank: size, fish, water parameters, problems etc. We'll help if we can, but we need more info.

I'll be nicer in the morning, I promise ;)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ally, welcome to the site! Crankiness and all! LOL! Sometimes it hard to sort what's going on..

Interesting setup you've got going on there. That's a pretty heavy bio load, so hopefully you're keeping up on large weekly water changes.

You don't typically see goldfish mixed in with tropical fish, because they're not really designed for long term exposure to tropical water temps.

I have a pair of rescue platys in my goldfish 55g and have for some time. The tank remains room temperature which can range from ~65F to 80F in the summer. The platys do fine.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'll try to be nicer now, sorry again. Past both our bedtimes tonight & last.

Maybe Joel (FreshyF) can start a new thread for you.

My first thoughts, I see temperature incompatible fish, especially angelfish & goldies. What size is your tank? They all "seem" to be juvenile fish, but it's hard to judge size from a pic.

How long have you had these fish? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? How much & how often do you change water?...& that's just the beginning of questions! Not just me being a B!atch, we all need to know so we can help you...& we do want to help, truly.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
New thread created, my first time, yay! :) Welcome to AC Ally & Rob!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If only Ally & Rob's pic was here too...Can you mods add it please? (good show, Jen) I hope I haven't driven them away with my snarkiness.

Come back! We do want to help you!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
If only Ally & Rob's pic was here too...Can you mods add it please? (good show, Jen) I hope I haven't driven them away with my snarkiness.

Come back! We do want to help you!
Which picture? I only saw the original picture in the first post and that is here.

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
This tank is a complete mess goldfish are cold water and angels are tropical 75-80 degrees angels need at least a 29 gallon and the sumo louch needs a group of 4-6 . Where and who sold you these fish and how long has the tank been up?

Ally & Rob

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2018
Sorry, past my early west coast bedtime, but goldfish, a lot of mollies...in what size tank was this? This is the same tank from almost a year ago? I'm thinking not...since this was from last year.

I'm having trouble following after such a very long time...but yeah, it was kinda negative, if this was your thread & you haven't changed anything in all this time beside you user name. What fish are left? How are they doing?

If this isn't your old post, start a new 1. In the upper right corner of each forum is a "post new thread" blue tab. Please use it to help us understand what you need help with.

Tell us all about your tank: size, fish, water parameters, problems etc. We'll help if we can, but we need more info.

I'll be nicer in the morning, I promise ;)
This is a 55 gallon tank. I am a completely different person from the one from a year ago. I just posted the wrong way. I currently have about 20 molly still, 1 male betta, 1 bubble goldfish, and one american goldfish I believe, (I forgot) a sumo loach and a leopard loach, a lace catfish, an albino catfish, 1 pleco, and the angelfish. I purchased the 55 gallon tank when my molly were outgrowing the 10 gallon I had them in. It came with the two goldfish and the angelfish. They all get along well in the tank and I try to keep an even amount of bottom feeders to maintain the increased biowaste due to all the fish.
Yesterday my angel fish had a case of swim bladder. I called a few local places who told me that the results were mostly grim, and all I could do is isolate it and put some peas in the water to hope it gets better. I didn't take that as an answer and looked up a few other options and I saw that someone tried an epson salt bath. We first lowered the water in the tank by 40% to decrease the amount of pressure on the fish. I then put my two ten gallons next to eachother and filled the first with 3 tablespoons of epson salt per 2 1/2 or 3 gallons of water. The fish goes in there for 15 minutes if the case is not extreme, to a half hour if it was like mine. Next to it I put about 1 1/2 tablespoon of epson salt per 2 1/2- 3 gallons for the revival tank, for 10-15 minutes. Then back to the regular tank. My angelfish was completely on its side, barely breathing but gasping for air. He was trying to move his fins but they would move slowly, we were sure we would lose him. After about an hour or so though he was perfectly fine, and now 24 hours later he is still in good condition, eating and swimming upright.
I just thought I would share my experience because the general idea of swim bladder is that it is incurable. Though I may have misdiagnosed the fish, the treatment was still appropriate.
Once my molly realized they had room to mate in the 55 gal, they went crazy. For weeks the males would chase the females with their mohawks (as I like to call them) up. I came home today to find 1 single baby. We saved the first 3 generation of molly from the original pair that my boyfriend and I bought. It is difficult to keep up with their breeding, so we are letting natural selection take its course in the tank. We are also trying to provide enough foliage for them to hide from the bigger fish that might eat them though as well.

Thank you for listening :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store