Whats new in filters? 16g bow front

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
So I have this 16g bow front I am thinking about setting up in my barber shop. I have not had to buy a filter in 15 years or so. Is there any thing new? I see submersible filters for small tanks. I remeber terra (I believe) was selling these all in one filters that look like volcanos.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you want a hang-on-back style? Something air powered? Price range?

16g is kind of small for a canister, but I've seen some pretty nifty small hang on back canisters made by Odyssea on eBay or the likes for around $30.

In terms of HOBs, I prefer Aquaclear. One or two AC30s would be great on a 16g.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
I have only used ac filters I have an ac20 I can use and a marine land biowheel. Was thinking not to use a HOB this time. But I guess I will loose tank space if I use an internal. What about the under the gravel filters? The back will not be covered or painted bur I can put the HOB on one end

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not really a fan of UGFs and haven't used them since the early 80s. Not to say they're not effective! There are folks who still use them and (the better option IMO) reverse UGFs, where your water is filtered through a sponge, then pumped up through the gravel.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
I have bio wheel 150 and an emperor 400 may use one of them

Phoenixjoni

AC Members
Mar 19, 2018
Bailey, CO
I'm not really a fan of UGFs and haven't used them since the early 80s. Not to say they're not effective! There are folks who still use them and (the better option IMO) reverse UGFs, where your water is filtered through a sponge, then pumped up through the gravel.
I have a question regarding UGFs, I am still using them, mainly because I still have 2 really well working powerheads. I also use a double whisper HOB. I am just getting into starting a planted tank. My question is with the UGF will that affect the plants I am trying to grow in my 55 gal.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Rooted plants will grown down through the UGF making it tough to maintain or move stuff around. I would avoid rooted plants and UGF, but that's just my opinion on that!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Depending on how high tech you want to go with the aquarium, HOB and power head filters can break the waters surface, which can cause CO2 to be lost from the water.. plants will need it to photosinthesize.

Phoenixjoni

AC Members
Mar 19, 2018
Bailey, CO
I am thinking of changing my type of filter on my 55gal. Looking at Aquaclear HOB or Seachem Tidal HOB. Probably not a in tank filter or canister because of cost and space concerns.
dougall - " HOB and power head filters can break thewaters surface, which can cause CO2 to be lost from the water.. plants will need it to photosinthesize"

I thought it was important to move the surface of the water to oxygenate the water? Are HOB not appropriate for planted tanks? In future I may add CO2 system, when I have the funds and can figure out how to use one.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I thought it was important to move the surface of the water to oxygenate the water? Are HOB not appropriate for planted tanks? In future I may add CO2 system, when I have the funds and can figure out how to use one.
My penchant is for planted aquariums, so most anything I say will have that in mind.

Fish in the aquarium will use O2 and create CO2, plants will use CO2 and create O2 during the day.

Surface agitation in the aquarium is going to result in gases becoming equal in percentages as the gases in the atmosphere... I.e. air. ... So using a hob, or an airstone, or a regular sponge filter will likely increase oxygen and reduce co2 in a regular unplanted aquarium... But, plants will do the same thing, and there's a level where they want all the co2 from the fish, not for it to be lost... So it's a bad thing. If you inject co2, you are paying to do so... If that gets 'gassed off' then you are paying to add co2 to your air, and plants may not get as much benefit, unless you add more and more.

So unless you are keeping something that comes from fast moving, highly oxygenated, riverine waters, the chance is good that you don't need to have bubbles at the surface of the aquarium. not letting the CO2 from the fish stay in the water may enable more algae to grow, etc. So it's all really a big balancing game.

Your fish will be sure to let you know that they needore oxygen by gasping at the surface... So just pay attention to your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store