Stocking ideas for 20g tall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Hello all! I am currently in the midst of a 20g tall planted tank build. You can see my thread over in the planted section. Cycling has yet to begin, waiting for my filter and tank decor to arrive. I'm jusy looking to kind of plan ahead right now.

Anyways, to the main point of this thread! I am debating how to stock my tank. Tank dimensions are 20" wide, 10" deep and 24" tall. It will be planted and heated. Not interested in live bearers.

I'd quite like to get corydoras for it, pygmy cories were suggested in my other thread. Are they gonna be about the only cory I can stock in there? Not sure if false juliis or panda cories will be ok in the tank. Looking at a school of 5-6.

Ive also been considering a betta fish or possibly a small school of tetras. Or a mix of those in addition to the cories. Is there any suggestions there? Always been a fan of neon and cardinal tetras.

My last question is could I mix corydoras and shrimp in this tank? Or would that be to much since both are bottom dwellers? Though it was mentioned the pygmy cories like to swim mid tank.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
A shot of the tank thus far.

82C40056-9522-475B-918F-416DF4369472.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There are a couple other dwarf corys, habrosus & hastatus. Both are much more bottom fish than pygmys. If you choose 1 of those I'd skip the shrimp, you need some mid-upper water fish too.

The problem with your tank is the small surface area, you need to stock like it's a 10g. So if you want a betta you could try the bottom swimmer corys OR shrimp may be ok, it kind of depends on the betta's "personality". He may well eat at least any small shrimplets he can hunt. But with plants & wood there should be enough hiding places for lots of survivors. If you choose a bottom critter, I'd skip the schoolers IF you get a betta. Cardinals get bigger than neons...maybe with shrimp or bottom corys but it's pushing it.

If you really want neons, then same thing as a betta, dwarf corys (any) OR shrimp with some baby shrimp loses.

I had dwarf rasboras (boraras maculata) with cherry shrimp. I liked both but they were similar in size & color so it was disappointing. There are B. briggitae (chili rasboras) that are quite pretty but don't get red shrimp, pick yellow or blue to have a better contrast ( I think I said caridina shrimp, the striped kinds, are more difficult; not yet, if ever). I doubt my tiny rasboras picked off many shrimplets at all, I had TONS of shrimp.

Betta & neons IME is not a great combo. We (back in the olden days) used to buy very small 6/$1 neons to keep with our bettas. They might eat a couple until the neons grew too big (or smart)…& then they might nip the long betta fins...it was a temporary thing at best. The dwarf rasboras would stay betta bite size...don't try it!

Fish I haven't kept but might work: honey gouramis (a pair or 1 male); dwarf rainbowfish, "rocket killifish" (beware livebearers!); maybe a pair of killifish...but nothing else! They're very good hunters ; croaking or sparkling gouramis...really, look at "nano fish" there are lots!

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Fishorama, great info as always!

Yeah the surface area is what kinda confused me.
Im thinking I should check to see if any of my lfs even carry cory cats. I know theres one store about 45 mins from me that should, but think that thats it. I can get shrimp locally, think they might fit what I'm going for a little better.

The dwarf rasboras looked really pretty. I also considered maybe just male guppies? I remember they can be very pretty and easy to sex as well. Just dont want to deal with fry haha.

In my old 30g community, I had a school of neons and a betta that worked out fine. Obviously a lot bigger tank though. That betta was what made me think of one now, he was just so personable! Neons came to mind just for the size of the tank.

Ill google nano fish and see what it says. Thanks again! :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'm not a livebearer fan if you couldn't tell... I'd say maybe 4 or 5 male guppies & NO other fish or shrimp. Endler's are smaller, you might have 4 or 5 males & either shrimp OR dwarf corys, just a thought...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
In my experience, C. Hastatus are mid level swimmers, just much harder to find for sake.

If you want that sort of thing, look at aspidiras too.. but again more difficult to find (unless you go to the catfish convention in DC in October)

Personally, I would do some sort of microrasbora in there, depending on what you have available to you. And maybe some sort of shrimp (I'm not a fan of snails)

Be careful with plants too, something so deep is going to be difficult/expensive to light.. so instead of rooted plants, maybe try going for something that will attach to hardscape (ferns, bucephelandra, moss, that sort of thing)

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Well, I'm not a livebearer fan if you couldn't tell... I'd say maybe 4 or 5 male guppies & NO other fish or shrimp. Endler's are smaller, you might have 4 or 5 males & either shrimp OR dwarf corys, just a thought...
Cant say I am either. That thought quickly passed lol! Could I do galaxy rasboras? I quite liked the look of them. I do like the dwarf rasboras too.

In my experience, C. Hastatus are mid level swimmers, just much harder to find for sake.

If you want that sort of thing, look at aspidiras too.. but again more difficult to find (unless you go to the catfish convention in DC in October)

Personally, I would do some sort of microrasbora in there, depending on what you have available to you. And maybe some sort of shrimp (I'm not a fan of snails)

Be careful with plants too, something so deep is going to be difficult/expensive to light.. so instead of rooted plants, maybe try going for something that will attach to hardscape (ferns, bucephelandra, moss, that sort of thing)
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to go with pygmy or salt and pepper cats if I can find them. Otherwise will be shrimp. Im liking the look of the micro rasboras as well.

I have plants addressed in my plant thread, going to do java moss, java fern, anubias nana, crypt wendtii. Easy to grow, low light plants. Have led lighting and root tabs ready to go.

Renegade Aquatics

AC Members
Jul 13, 2018
Lurking
Real Name
Spencer
I think the Corydoras hastatus and CPD's would be a cool combo. Rosy loaches would be neat too IMO.
EDIT. did not realize how old the thread was, but do you have any updates?

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
I think the Corydoras hastatus and CPD's would be a cool combo. Rosy loaches would be neat too IMO.
EDIT. did not realize how old the thread was, but do you have any updates?
I do, actually. I swapped the tank for a 10g for ease of plant growing. Still in cycling process but getting there.

I decided to go with just cpds and neocardina shrimp. Had not heard of rosy loaches previously, interesting species.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Renegade Aquatics

AC Members
Jul 13, 2018
Lurking
Real Name
Spencer
I do, actually. I swapped the tank for a 10g for ease of plant growing. Still in cycling process but getting there.

I decided to go with just cpds and neocardina shrimp. Had not heard of rosy loaches previously, interesting species.
that sounds dope, I've tossed around the idea of a Fluval flex with CPD's I hear they're a good mid water schooler.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store