Where is everybody?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Unfortunately forums in general have become antiquated, everyone opting for social media instead. A couple other fish forums are still active but I prefer it here. :D

Reactions: Rbishop

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Right?! I've hit another, higher trafficked forum, but when I feel like *I* am the most knowledgeable person there, it's a problem. I don't know enough to be in the top half, IMO.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Right?! I've hit another, higher trafficked forum, but when I feel like *I* am the most knowledgeable person there, it's a problem. I don't know enough to be in the top half, IMO.
Exactly lol (but about me). Or they are .... not as nice as the people here, let's say that. :)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
On that particular forum, most everyone is nice. I verbally beat down someone who wasn't, just a little (I'm 99% sure it was a cultural thing, and not viewed by himself to be rude, but he was both wrong and rude), but most people go out of their way to be nice. To the point where, even when something is clearly wrong and needs to be addressed, they put more effort into being nice than into diagnosing the problem and helping to fix it. So, I'll only lightly traffic that site. Social media is... not my preference. Easier to search and cross reference on a forum.

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
Yeah Facebook is killing forums. I joined some FB aquarium related groups but quickly got annoyed with the same questions being asked every single day. I much prefer this format. I'm trying to check in here more often.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah Facebook is killing forums. I joined some FB aquarium related groups but quickly got annoyed with the same questions being asked every single day. I much prefer this format. I'm trying to check in here more often.
But... that means you have to go onto Facebook...... :eek:

kikogarcia

AC Members
Nov 22, 2018
.Some people go to facebook ,There was a bustling community before, not only of interesting minds, but also vendors. Oh well, we'll have to see if it picks back up

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I definitely think facebook groups killed it. . . I never found a FB group that I liked, most were full of the same questions and really horrible answers and replies. Too many mean/negative posts and OT things about politics and religion.

I got off facebook completely. But now my thesis and general PhD life has been insanely busy and it keeps me away. (I've been lurking in the shadows on occasion for the last few months).

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Shadow lurking...always entertaining... :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store