Aquarium Top

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Hi all. I need to replace the aquarium top on my 125 gallon Aquaeon tank. I have questions???
I'm looking at at several online sites, but I'm not sure how to measure and order Which online site would be the best to order from? Do you measure the glass itself or the area holding the glass? The area holding the glass seems to have the closest measurement.
Thank you in advance for your help!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Is it a plastic canopy you want to replace or just a glass top?

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Oh those , ok. Not sure how those are measured but id assume just measure the inside dimensions of the tank lip and look for something similar. Keeping your filter, heater, air line clearances in mind.

Is it the plastic that broke or the glass? You could just go to a glass shop and replace the pane if its just the glass.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Oh those , ok. Not sure how those are measured but id assume just measure the inside dimensions of the tank lip and look for something similar. Keeping your filter, heater, air line clearances in mind.

Is it the plastic that broke or the glass? You could just go to a glass shop and replace the pane if its just the glass.
The glass seams to be chipping and the hinges won't hold the glass in anymore.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Ahh. I would measure the existing ones from front to back and side to side and look for similar.

Alternatively, you could do what I did. Get a small thin pane measured to the right size from a glass shop and put a small stick on knob on the top. Much cheaper.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Assuming this is a standard 6ft Aqueon 125g, they take a standard sized pair of 36" x 18" glass versa tops. Check Drs Foster and Smith online. I've found them to be about the cheapest for mail order glass tops.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I agree with FF. If it's a standard size, it's much cheaper to order a glass top online or through a lfs.

Measure very carefully, a 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch can matter a lot.

As Defj said, a local custom glass shop maybe better if you don't have a "standard" tank. My local National Glass place was very helpful when I had a DIY topless 40g long. Measure!!!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Another thing to remember us that if the biggest problem seems to be the glass, you danjyst buy the hinge by itself, I think it comes in 6 foot long pieces. and you just cut it to length by yourself.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, with dougall's typos I'm going to guess new hinge plastic. They can be "cooked" by your lights...I'm there now with 1 of my tanks now. It can make the hinge slot expand & not grip the glass very well; with ensuing issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store