7 days dilemma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

As Ralph

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2019
I’m going to leave my 10x 6 gallons guppies tank for at least 7 days. Should i leave it with the food blocks or use an auto feeder ? My filtration and aeration is in a very good condition . No one could drop by and help me when i’m not around so i kind of needed some pretty cool advice before i’m off . Thank you

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Planted? Fry? If so....carry on and don't worry. Adult guppies can readily go a week with no food, and will graze on algae/biofilm.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just to add to the above advice, I would not add any type of slow release food or an automatic food dispenser. Just do a big water change and feed them before you go. I've let my tanks with adult fish go a week while I was away. My fish didn't skip a beat. To me, it's a better option than risk having a non fish-keeper, who's trying to help you out make a mistake.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want to let your fish eat while you are away, I would personally use some sort of gel food that doesn't break down quickly, or add some sort of live food.

the pyramid ones, or the ones shaped like cute little fish that are sold as vacation feeders are basically nuggets of food held in gypsum, which is basically the stuff drywall is made from;

As Ralph

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2019
I’m going to leave my 10x 6 gallons guppies tank for at least 7 days. Should i leave it with the food blocks or use an auto feeder ? My filtration and aeration is in a very good condition . No one could drop by and help me when i’m not around so i kind of needed some pretty cool advice before i’m off . Thank you
If you want to let your fish eat while you are away, I would personally use some sort of gel food that doesn't break down quickly, or add some sort of live food.

the pyramid ones, or the ones shaped like cute little fish that are sold as vacation feeders are basically nuggets of food held in gypsum, which is basically the stuff drywall is made from;
Cool , thank you

As Ralph

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2019
Planted? Fry? If so....carry on and don't worry. Adult guppies can readily go a week with no food, and will graze on algae/biofilm.
I think i will do exectly as you said .. but , yaa i’m thinking of the fry .. will they graze on algae/biofilm also ?

As Ralph

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2019
Just to add to the above advice, I would not add any type of slow release food or an automatic food dispenser. Just do a big water change and feed them before you go. I've let my tanks with adult fish go a week while I was away. My fish didn't skip a beat. To me, it's a better option than risk having a non fish-keeper, who's trying to help you out make a mistake.
Well ya it does make sense . I will leave my adults guppy tanks clean and healthy without any auto food . And maybe need to use the slow dissolves food or auto feeder for the fry

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Most fish can go W/O food for a week easily (most humans too). I would not be worried. Fry maybe a little different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store