Plant ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Ugh, maybe crypts flamingo, or some of the varieties of crypt wendtii.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, wendtii "red" is reddish (maybe only on the leaf underside, I don't recall), "mi oya" is a pretty maroon with textured leaves. I have flamingo, jacobsenii pink, & (I think) p'hang?, both regular & "mutated". Under lower light mine get only "pink-ish" mid rib or so. It's hard to say how big they get, mine were tiny offsets.

In a tank only 12 inches tall a 4-6 inch plant seems pretty tall, lol. In my 20 long I did like "spiral vallisnera" (NOT v.spiralis) aka "Italian val" or val. asiatica. It gets ~8-10 inches tall with spiraled leaves.

For swords, "Tropica" is smaller, 5 or 6 inch & there are some dwarf chain swords (more correctly laliopsis (?) now, I think). 2-3 inches.

Stem plants in a shallow tank can mean a LOT of trimming. If they're at all happy, they need control every week or 3.

Some lilies will get too big for your tank, dwarf red might be ok IF you trim off any leaves that shoot toward the surface. Trim any leaves that get too big or too tall

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
Yeah, wendtii "red" is reddish (maybe only on the leaf underside, I don't recall), "mi oya" is a pretty maroon with textured leaves. I have flamingo, jacobsenii pink, & (I think) p'hang?, both regular & "mutated". Under lower light mine get only "pink-ish" mid rib or so. It's hard to say how big they get, mine were tiny offsets.

In a tank only 12 inches tall a 4-6 inch plant seems pretty tall, lol. In my 20 long I did like "spiral vallisnera" (NOT v.spiralis) aka "Italian val" or val. asiatica. It gets ~8-10 inches tall with spiraled leaves.

For swords, "Tropica" is smaller, 5 or 6 inch & there are some dwarf chain swords (more correctly laliopsis (?) now, I think). 2-3 inches.

Stem plants in a shallow tank can mean a LOT of trimming. If they're at all happy, they need control every week or 3.

Some lilies will get too big for your tank, dwarf red might be ok IF you trim off any leaves that shoot toward the surface. Trim any leaves that get too big or too tall
This will help me a ton! Thank you very much! What plants would you suggest that I can place in the back and they grow allll the way to the top? Maybe even curl with the water top?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You're welcome :)

It sounds like you want a stem plant or 2 for that comb over effect. I'd suggest ludwegia repens x arcuata &/or rotala "indica" or rotala "h'ra". They all will need control in a 12 inch tank. The best way is to trim off the pretty top growth, remove the stumps & replant the tops. Repeat as needed.

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
You're welcome :)

It sounds like you want a stem plant or 2 for that comb over effect. I'd suggest ludwegia repens x arcuata &/or rotala "indica" or rotala "h'ra". They all will need control in a 12 inch tank. The best way is to trim off the pretty top growth, remove the stumps & replant the tops. Repeat as needed.
Just trim the top of the leaves? Simple enough. I will look for these plants tomorrow! Thank you!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you want long stems, trim them as low to the substrate as you reasonably can. I have fingernails so I just pinch them. You can also use scissors ;). Pull out the base part of the old plant. Use your thumb & middle finger to hold the stem & your index finger to dig a hole for it & backfill while holding it in place. It takes a little practice but it's very easy. This planting technique also works for most plants but you might need a "trench line" rather than just a hole. & except for stems, you want the "crown" (where leaves & roots join) just at or very (very) slightly above the substrate. I like to bury them a bit deep & gently pull them up to the correct height.

We're going to need some pics!

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
If you want long stems, trim them as low to the substrate as you reasonably can. I have fingernails so I just pinch them. You can also use scissors ;). Pull out the base part of the old plant. Use your thumb & middle finger to hold the stem & your index finger to dig a hole for it & backfill while holding it in place. It takes a little practice but it's very easy. This planting technique also works for most plants but you might need a "trench line" rather than just a hole. & except for stems, you want the "crown" (where leaves & roots join) just at or very (very) slightly above the substrate. I like to bury them a bit deep & gently pull them up to the correct height.

We're going to need some pics!
I dont have any nails so Ill have to cut it. I want to buy a ton of plants tomorrow from petsmart and my lfs. Slowly but surely replacing the fake plants.

A570E3D6-31A7-4CD9-B208-F34234A1CEA3.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store