Angels: Need a clarity on feeding "Australian Black Worms"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Angels: Need a clarity on feeding "Australian Black Worms"

I need a clarity on this, this question may sound stupid but still ...

Can we feed "Australian Black Worms" to Angels ? (pic attached)

a) If NO, why ??

b) If YES, then can they be fed on a daily basis ?
c) If NO, why ??

d) If YES, will the bio-load have a effect on a planted tank in any negative way ?
e) If NO, any other side effects for the angels.

Australian Black Worms.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I can't see why you couldn't feed them. I don't feed daily, but for those that do, this could be PART of daily feedings but I don't endorse feeding a single type of food exclusively, since I don't think there are many that are nutritionally complete.

All foods result in nitrogen being added. Sometimes that's more than the plants can consume, given other nutrient levels, so might cause algae, but that's true of live food, frozen food, flakes, etc.

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
I can't see why you couldn't feed them. I don't feed daily, but for those that do, this could be PART of daily feedings but I don't endorse feeding a single type of food exclusively, since I don't think there are many that are nutritionally complete.
Firstly thanks for the speedy response. I will feed then with other types of food too. I feed my angels twice a day, I would like to keep this as staple diet once a day (in the morning), in the evenings the food will vary (pellets, flakes, brine shrimp etc). Just wanted to be sure that feeding these black worms once a day is a good idea or not.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Lumbriculus variegatus, black worms, are one of the foods that most fish breeders will tell you are one of, if not, the best food for aiding in the inducement of spawning many species. Australian black worms are the same species as any other black worms sold throughout the world, they are just raised in Australia.

Live ones aree best, especially if using them with bottom feeders. They will sink for one and those not eaten immediately can survive in a tank and provide nutrition at a later time. Freeze dried will not sink readily. So for angels they are fine but not so great for bottom feeder, If you want them to sink use live, or if available, frozen. :ive take am effprt tp care for so if you want to do these, research them first to know what you are getting onto before you rush headlong.

I used to feed freeze dried earthworms to my DD black angels. forgive my posting a pic in your thread, especially such a poor one,

Apr 2, 2002
New York
This GOBBLEDEGOOK above " :ive take am effprt tp care " should have read "Live take an effort to care"

DOH!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store