Apisto white bump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Biz

AC Members
Dec 22, 2019
About a week ago I noticed that right in front of the dorsel fin of my Apisto there was a white mark that looked like a wound. I had a GBR that was being a real jerk to him and was put in a different tank so I assumed that they had gotten into a scuffle and no big deal. I was away with work for 4 days and it doesn't seem to be getting better and I am getting worried that it may be something worse.

Apistos are a nightmare to get where I am and I had to drive 4 hours each way to get my pair as well as pay $30 a piece for them. Not to mention he is an awesome fish, anytime I go near the glass he follows me around and watches me so would be devastated to lose him.

Not to mention now with the medication restrictions in Canada getting anything to treat serious fish illnesses is a nightmare and will likely require a vet.

Was my initial guess correct is it just a wound that will heal or should I be quarantining and treating him.

I have a freshly cycled 20 gallon that is planted but I haven't added fish to yet, so would be a great quarantine tank as long as whatever meds he gets won't kill all the plants.

I also have an empty 5 gallon that isn't cycled or anything that would be easy to setup. I have a sponge filter in the 20 gallon I could swap over to try and rapid cycle the tank.

Thoughts?

apisto 1.jpgapisto 2.jpgApisto good 1.jpgApisto good 2.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, we all know how fun fish are to try and photograph. I also now that there is algae on the glass, just got home and figured this took priority.

He doesn't see to be in any distress and is acting completely normally.

Thanks for any help!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It does look like a wound.

Any recent additions to the tank that could have brought in a parasite or illness?

Biz

AC Members
Dec 22, 2019
It does look like a wound.

Any recent additions to the tank that could have brought in a parasite or illness?
No the apistos are the most recent addition and they were quarantined for 6 weeks and have been in the community tank for ~2 months.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If none of the other fish seem effected, I'd keep monitoring that guy, increase water changes to keep nitrates very low. You could increase water temp and aeration to see if that speeds healing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store