Debilitated Diamond - should I put down?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
20200323_140028.jpg
20200323_140041.jpg

In the first picture you see my unhealthy diamond and in the second a healthy one. This poor guy has always been like this. I don't think he ever eats enough and he gets picked on by the other diamonds.

I'm currently treating the tank for unrelated ich when i introduced new fish (lesson learned, qt from now on) and lost a few fish, in the process of ordering meds i ordered clove oil just in case. The ich doesn't seem to be affecting any of my other diamonds, it got him for a but its gone but he's just all raggedy and listless. Again always been this way and I didnt really notice how bad until I started treating for ich. I'm not sure if he was born with some sort of birth defect or what. I'm wondering if I should just put him down or if you guys know any treatment options. He seems pretty depressed :(

Thank you

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Has he been treated for internal parasites, by chance?

That'd be my first thought.

Id separate him to a hospital tank for the time being, so he doesnt have to compete with the other fish for food at the very least.

If he is trying to eat, it may not be too late to reverse him.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Sunlight Sunlight NoodleCats NoodleCats

Thank you. So would treatment be something like metroplex+ focus + garlic guard for internal parasites or do you have another rec?

I am not quite sure if he is eating or not, he hasn't seemed to go for food. I'll keep an extra close eye on him tonight.

I still have 3 rainbow tetras in my tank that are trying to shake off the ich. Was treating with kordon rid ich and high temp, ran out of kordon and have been treating with paraguard.

Last edited:

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Then keep on getting him to eat, and look into a deworming medication for him. As a precaution id think treating the whole tank hes in would be smart, as if one fish is affected, chances are all of them are (but arent succumbing to it)

But him eating is great news :D

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
I do think it may be internal parasites but is there a chance it may just be a cull that was missed? The spine looks odd.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
When you bought him was he like this?

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
When you bought him was he like this?
I don't think so. But over time I think he never grew like the others did. His shape is different and he's smaller.

Could be he's had an internal parasite all this time...sad I didn't realize this sooner.

To be honest id rather not set up a separate tank for him if I can avoid it, if feeding him meds is ok for the others too..if not I feel like I could keep him sequestered in a large net in the tank and feed him that way maybe.

Like I said I'm still treating the tank for ich with paraguard currently. Can I feed him and possibly the rest of the tank meds for internal parasites as well at the same time as Paraguard and if so which one?

I'm also adding some StressGuard and about to start Voogle (fish vitamins). I think when I first had a few deaths in my tank I had an ammonia spike, lately testing has looked somewhere between 0 and .25, not sure as I hear sometimes 0 ammonia looks like .25

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If none of the other tank inhabitants share the same symptoms, I doubt this is any type of parasite or bacterial thing. Given that, I wouldn't treat the tank, nor would I recommend any meds or treatments unless you know reasonably well what you are treating for. Stores want to sell products and are going to recommend everything and anything on the shelves.

If the fish isn't getting beaten to death, eats, is not in visible distress and you don't mind it in your tank, let it ride.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store