Juvenile jaguar cichlid tank mate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
And your question?
Well.. Might need to leave some algae for the fries when they hatch. Heard they eat the algae. Less lightning and hand cleaning are good advise but I won't be doing much cleaning for sometime, as my hand shall be attacked.
The question is.. How long shall I wait until I can have a tank clean up? Heard the parents take care of the fries even after they started swimming

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
My pair of 6" jags seem to be spawning. Just noticed the eggs today, after the male seems to not welcome anything hovering above the water.. Net and hands notwithstanding. He'll leap viciously clear out of the water to try to intercept.
The issue is there seems to be algae buildup. What would be the best time to introduce an algae eater, and what type? Or if it is even advisable to have one? ?
I think this was a joke. :) Rift Valley cichlids are aggressive, but a pair of jags with spawn is a force of nature to be reckoned with. And that's not an exaggeration, lol. Putting anything else in there would be a death sentence.

I like your outdoor pond for the jags. That's something I could never do here. Fry don't necessarily eat the algae as such, but feed on microorganisms that live off of the algae.

WYite

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
I think this was a joke. :) Rift Valley cichlids are aggressive, but a pair of jags with spawn is a force of nature to be reckoned with. And that's not an exaggeration, lol. Putting anything else in there would be a death sentence.

I like your outdoor pond for the jags. That's something I could never do here. Fry don't necessarily eat the algae as such, but feed on microorganisms that live off of the algae.

WYite
Hmm.. Microorganisms. Another eye opener. If so, do I need to clean the algae?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Hmm.. Microorganisms. Another eye opener. If so, do I need to clean the algae?
Myself, I just clean enough of the glass on my tanks so that I can see the fish well (the front pane of the tank). But my tanks are in a working fish room and aren't meant for show. They're totally for my enjoyment, almost completely. Sometimes my wife, kids or granddaughter will go down and watch them for a while.

So if you're not worried about people complaining your tank/pond isn't "clean" or that they can't see the fish, then I'd suggest you just clean enough so that you can enjoy your fish and leave the rest.

WYite

Reactions: dudley and WarTank

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
Myself, I just clean enough of the glass on my tanks so that I can see the fish well (the front pane of the tank). But my tanks are in a working fish room and aren't meant for show. They're totally for my enjoyment, almost completely. Sometimes my wife, kids or granddaughter will go down and watch them for a while.

So if you're not worried about people complaining your tank/pond isn't "clean" or that they can't see the fish, then I'd suggest you just clean enough so that you can enjoy your fish and leave the rest.

WYite
Great advice. Not concerned with complaints from others..as long as my fish and I are happy. Lol!

Reactions: Wyomingite

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
Whew.. To those new to the aquarium hobby, take note that you don't know fish aggression until you have a pair of spawning parachromis. ?

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
I checked on some sites that stated it shall be 3 days before the eggs hatch, and an additional 5 days before the fries start swimming. Is this the rule of thumb? Currently, I can still clean the tank/pond as somehow the eggs are laid on the other side from the drainage pipe, and I can use a hose to remove excessive waste and algae which are away from the eggs. Hmm.. These fish must know something. ?

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store