Gold barbs chasing female rosy barb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rfraser135

AC Members
Apr 4, 2021
I have a 70 tank I have 5 gold barbs, and 4 rosy barbs ome of which is female, they all got on well at first but as of yesterday all the fold barbs have started chasing my female rosy they just keep pestering her I have plenty spaces for her to hide but I am worried they are going to end up killing her. They will chase the other rosy barbs but not nearly as much as they do with the female, what could be causing this?

Rfraser135

AC Members
Apr 4, 2021
They just constantly chase her they can be peaceful she swims passed and they will start chasing her, I was thinking this my self as I've noticed my 3 Male rosy barbs joining in do you think I should separate her?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are the gold barbs that do the chasing all male?

I've got 5 golds and 5 greens in one of my 55's. Not sure how to tell male/female on any of them. They just kind of hang with their own group.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Rfraser135

AC Members
Apr 4, 2021
Are the gold barbs that do the chasing all male?

I've got 5 golds and 5 greens in one of my 55's. Not sure how to tell male/female on any of them. They just kind of hang with their own group.
I'm not sure tbh I have her separated now in a hatchery and the tank is peaceful again although they are still staying close to her could it be because she is female

Rfraser135

AC Members
Apr 4, 2021
the breeder box will stress her. would you say if she was stressed by them?
Yes she was definitely stressed by them they have nipped all her fins from her side and also was blood through her fin they just chased her relentlessly all day if she hid in the plant they would go in the plant after her, do you have any suggestions on what to do I wont be keeping her in this box just a few hours rest from them

Rfraser135

AC Members
Apr 4, 2021
i have no suggestion whatsoever, it is good that you have removed her to at least the box. is she the only female being harrassed? maybe try getting couple more females and see if you can distract them?
Thank you yeah she is I will try that and see how they get on

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do you have other females of either barb species? I'm glad you rescued her but you need a longer term answer...Sprinkle may be right that adding more females of both species may help...if you have room.

I'm not sure of a 70g tank dimensions...what are they? Length, width (front to back), depth (top to bottom)?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store