My Tanks: The Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
to be technical, it depends on what the bits are..

lots of soil itself will not hurt the fish, but anything added to artificially add to thee soil, toi retain water or whatevr, can be harmful... but if it looks like plain brown dirt it is likely fine.
something about right

20210407_183807.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
not gonna coment on your use of soil. unofficially it loosk OK... officially I am not gonna take responsibility for what might be in it, nor its affect on your animals.

(This is likely the biggest reason I don't condone its use)

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Dougall is dead on. Anything ( if there is anything) harmful in the soil will leach out even if it is capped. If you have safe soil then the bits won't hurt staying above the cap, but it is unsightly.

LOL.

WYite
the soil said something about enough nutrients for 6 weeks but not ferts tho so im safe. there was perlite and seramis added but both are safe with prelite being inert like a lava rock.
it is just as unsightly as fish poop so im okay with this :)

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
not gonna coment on your use of soil. unofficially it loosk OK... officially I am not gonna take responsibility for what might be in it, nor its affect on your animals.

(This is likely the biggest reason I don't condone its use)
i totally get you, but thats why i check those things before i get the dirt :) being it Westland is the finest british brand and they will write on their packaging what they add to their soil. its the second of my tanks having their dirt in.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
if you are cool, that's all that matters !

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
you can reduce the water stirring up the sang/dirt mixture by covering in cling flim before teh reill, diffuse the water using a collander or something, or just pouring slower.

I normally refi with a python turned way, way down so it takes forever. In a new tank I have been known to siphon water into it for the first fill using a knotted airhose.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
still have to fill slowly... just in case. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store