Small tank with fruit growing on top?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
A Friend asked me about setting up a smaller tank with some type of fish and plants growing on top that are edible or some kind of fruit or veggie growing on top. Plants aren’t my thing, so I thought I’d ask here. Any info, ideas etc... is appreciated

Hexo

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
A Friend asked me about setting up a smaller tank with some type of fish and plants growing on top that are edible or some kind of fruit or veggie growing on top. Plants aren’t my thing, so I thought I’d ask here. Any info, ideas etc... is appreciated
pineapple, but you have to make sure it can go into the ground so it can bear fruit. you can grow it from the tops of store bought friut.
i can show you if you don't know what im talking about.
avocado, you can grow it from seed.
basil?
just make sure the fish won't eat it
garlic?
not sure if fish can survive in that
if they do, give em some fishy breathmints.
or you can grow stuff emersed...
such as lettuce, spider plants, kale, and others.
you can make a sump filter which supports emersed growth...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
How small is small?

I would skip fruits (or potatoes) and maybe grow herbs emersed.

Mint would be nice muddled in cocktails.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I've seen a lot of set-ups with Monstera deliciosa growing out of the tank, and it's fruit is edible when properly ripened. I would think it would depend on the form of the plant and it's normal water needs. A lot of fruits may find direct planting in an aquarium set up too wet.

Having tropical fruit plants near, such as dwarf bananas and dwarf citrus trees, and watered with tank water during water changes, would probably be ideal.

WYite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would watch, it will be potentially problematic to support the weight of a largish plant in such a small aquarium.

More importantly, I would worry that the bioload of the aquarium would not support much of a plant either.

Hexo

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
I've seen a lot of set-ups with Monstera deliciosa growing out of the tank, and it's fruit is edible when properly ripened. I would think it would depend on the form of the plant and it's normal water needs. A lot of fruits may find direct planting in an aquarium set up too wet.

Having tropical fruit plants near, such as dwarf bananas and dwarf citrus trees, and watered with tank water during water changes, would probably be ideal.

WYite
my monstera never grew fruit.
make sure it has lots of nutrients...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store