Molly’s with some black spots

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Work n’ Grind

AC Members
Feb 23, 2022
I have a couple Orange mollys that have black spots on body and fin, I thought they were just color variations, but want to reassure myself any thoughts. They have had the spots the whole time I have had them and seem to act normal and the spots are not growing. Thanks a ton!D3E913EC-7AE2-42C7-BAAE-FF150F51EEAC.jpeg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to AC!

Work n’ Grind Work n’ Grind , your fish are just fine, the black spots are just pigment and can vary from fish to fish.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Welcome! Both are very lovely, healthy fish :)

They may actually be orange marble mollies and you will find as they grow, the black will grow more. Very normal for marbles to change pattern and can be a really fun adventure.

Reactions: dudley

Work n’ Grind

AC Members
Feb 23, 2022
Welcome! Both are very lovely, healthy fish :)

They may actually be orange marble mollies and you will find as they grow, the black will grow more. Very normal for marbles to change pattern and can be a really fun adventure.
There are sooo many varieties of molly it’s awesome, but also hard to keep track of

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Yes there are, but imo marble are the most fun because of the changes

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have never kept mollies but your fish look very healthy. Black specks aren't usually a sign of disease. Like NoodleCats said, just a variety of normal.

I love fish that change appearance over time, many do. It's often a slow process. It's kinda fun to have a many tiny spots or big spots to differentiate each fish...& maybe make up cute names for them. Especially if you have kids, an easy way to involve them with fish. I know Noodle lets her kid help with names; so does my neighbor...although theirs change names sometimes. lol.

Work n’ Grind

AC Members
Feb 23, 2022
I have never kept mollies but your fish look very healthy. Black specks aren't usually a sign of disease. Like NoodleCats said, just a variety of normal.

I love fish that change appearance over time, many do. It's often a slow process. It's kinda fun to have a many tiny spots or big spots to differentiate each fish...& maybe make up cute names for them. Especially if you have kids, an easy way to involve them with fish. I know Noodle lets her kid help with names; so does my neighbor...although theirs change names sometimes. lol.
100 percent love this! the kids named all the fish and snails after sponge bob Characters in “my tank” lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ha ha! My neighbor's go with Nemo & Dory & ?...at least last time I heard...maybe a few weeks ago...I don't keep up with "cool fish" movies but I have seen them...but just 1 time, not over & over like parents & kids do, lol. Lucky you!?!?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
This was Cookie, the marble molly we had that my son named. She's passed on by now of old age, but she was really fun to see the change in pattern.

Same fish, but 3 years difference in pattern.
received_344568422880381.jpeg20210922_225012.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store