Clam Help. haha. seriously though.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
A friend of mine told me that you can put little neck clams from the seafood market in a SW aquarium. Is that true? I told him I paid 4.99 for one clam and he said that he got a dozen for 20cents each.

If that's true I feel a little ripped off from saltwaterfish.com ... How many clams should a tank have per gallon? 12 sounds like alot. If this was true I was gonna get a half dozen for my tank.

Let me know, thanks.

Michael Marino

SALT WATER FOR LIFE
Mar 5, 2006
Long Island, New York
I mean I guesss its alright but if one dies how you may hit a nit. spike you know so its risky. Also I dont think they are the same clam if they are i am gonna do the same :)

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I have a clam from the seafood section in my pred tank. I bought him for trigger food but the trigger left him alone and he has lived happily for quite a few months now. I think I paid like 50 cents.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
I went out and got a couple from work. I manage a restaurant. I have the key to the store and it just so happens we had a delivery of fresh clams today. I took 2 and temp acclimated them. They were out of water anyway so I took water from my tank into a container and put them in. They were a little sandy so the water cleaned them off. I did that for 40 min and I just put them in the tank. The clams are open about 3mm.

I think they are trying to bury themselves just like my so called "cleaner clam" from saltwaterfish.com.

I hate to say it but I think saltwaterfish.com's cleaner clam for $4.99 is a rip-off. Oh well. I'll keep a close eye on these two and keep you guys posted further.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Please keep us updated!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
the thing to note about using these clam's is that if the clam opens up more than a couple of millimeters, then there is a good possibility that it has died..over here in the UK, we have a thread that is page after page of people's attempts to keep these. Some are succesfull like JoJo and keep them alive, where a the vast majority died after a week or so...seems very hit and miss. The general concensus was that if you can get it past the first week without it croakin, then your sorted...

Just my thoughts about them...

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store