Can plecos tolerate any salt at all?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Same question for Red Ramshorn snails too.

I thought the snails would be less tolerant to salt, but I've read in a few places that they can tolerate a little. Any of you have experiences with this? For instance... using salt treatment for ich while snails and/or plecos are in the tank...

I treat with about 2tsp per gallon.

Lady Friesian

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
Um...I treated my plecos with the heat/salt treatment when they had ich. I read later that they were sensitive to salt, though. They recovered just fine. I used 1 tbsp per 5 gallons, which I know is less than often recommended.

I don't really know what to tell you.

Mar 9, 2007
Im pretty sure that scaleless fish don't tolerate salt very well. That's what I have been told.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
most plecos will tolerate the salt levels needed to do disease treatments.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Most plecos? Do you think this pleco would?

I don't actually have the pleco in there yet, and plan to put him in a QT tank when he gets here, until I am done treating my main tank. I am curious though, for future reference. I want to avoid using meds anytime salt can do the job. The pleco is suppose to be here by 10am today. :)

tks4d2

AC Members
Aug 10, 2006
Most plecos? Do you think this pleco would?

I don't actually have the pleco in there yet, and plan to put him in a QT tank when he gets here, until I am done treating my main tank. I am curious though, for future reference. I want to avoid using meds anytime salt can do the job. The pleco is suppose to be here by 10am today. :)
I just got my first pleco yesterday and I have 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and it's doing great! It's a common pleco btw

Slider45

AC Members
Nov 11, 2006
I have a Pleco in my tank not sure witch one it is and i have salt in my tank as a preventive measure, also i use epson salts as well . Pleco is going well as are all the fish ( loaches , spiney eel , Koolie loaches ) and the normal run of the mill comunity fish.
Cheers Slider45

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
I have a Pleco in my tank not sure witch one it is and i have salt in my tank as a preventive measure, also i use epson salts as well . Pleco is going well as are all the fish ( loaches , spiney eel , Koolie loaches ) and the normal run of the mill comunity fish.
Cheers Slider45
How much salt per gallon are you using?

meow91

AC Members
Feb 1, 2007
North Central Florida
Cheers Slider45
How much epson salt do you use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store