clam breding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I think they need a seperate tank since when they sexually reproduce it makes a mess of the water. The breeding distributors say that by stressing the clams they can provoke them to reproduce, but everyone I have talked to that had clams release stuff in their tank spent hours changing filter socks and cleaning their skimmer cups.

0m3n

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Apparantly they urinate into the water in clam farms in vietnam to induce spawning. Maybe you could try that germanman... lol

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
He would have spent an hour typing and it would have taken us 15 minutes to read though...

Germanman

My fish are my babies
He would have spent an hour typing and it would have taken us 15 minutes to read though...
lol....
well ok lets see not the situation is changed i now have several clams in my reef. check out specs in link in my sig. has anyone had experience of them spawning and producing young in their aquarium. i know of a book but he doesnt speak on how just shares the pictures.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Apparantly they urinate into the water in clam farms in vietnam to induce spawning. Maybe you could try that germanman... lol

I must have a sick sense of humor becuase I haven't laughed so hard as I did when I read OM3n's response. I'm not sure I would be up for that if I were Germanman.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I've heard about it as well..lol. In fact, one local reefer doses his SPS tanks with Vodka. He was sick with some sort of bug and was on medication and drowsy him made the mistake of double dosing. He was in a panic and sick out of his mind and he decided to pee in the tank to adjust the water. Even with the antibiotics in him I hear the tank survived. Made for a hilarious thread the next day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store