need algae eater 4 agressive cichlids!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I have a 29 gallon tank with five african cichlids. Two yellow tailed violet cichlids and three red zebras. I HAD a pleco and I gave it away. I don't like them and I don't want one. But, I have algae in my tank now, not a lot of algae but enough to want an algae eating fish. What fish will eat red/brown algae that my cichlids will not have for a snack????

My b/f has cichlids and has Siamese algae eaters and they do great. But I don't think his cichlids are as fiesty as mine are. Do you think a siamese will work??

Thanks
alicia

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I did ask this question once before thanks. I thought maybe a little more info would help since someone asked what kind of fish. And all I got was get a pleco. And notice I said I don't want one. So, I thought I'd post again and maybe other people who haven't read it and are nice could reply. So....since you read it once no one asked ya to read it again. And this board is for people to get help and that's what I'm trying to do. Thanks

:D

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
I anwsered you before and didnt tell you pleco.

i told you your cichlids will eat the algae.

but if you want some more suggestions -
chinese algae eater
siamese algae eater
apple snails
just about any malawi cichlid
bristlenose

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
With malawi cichlids its hard to get an algae eating fish as africans can be quite aggresive(especially in small tanks). SAE wouldnt' be a good choice for an algae eater if you are looking for a fish to clean glass and rocks, as they are more designed to eat hair algaes(they don't have sucker mouths) and they will most likely get picked on. Snails are also not going to do too well as Mbuna can eat snails(atleast mine have eaten my snails). Your best bet is to jsut leave the algae and let your mbuna eat it or get a bristlenose pleco. But since the pleco is out of the question. I would just turn the lights off when not actually looking at the tank.

Why is it that you don't want a pleco?How much algae are we really talking about? Some algae is good, makes it look more natural, gives the fish some food. But if you have tons then somethign is out of balance and needs to be fixed, getting an algae eating fish wouldn't help much in this case.

oh and your violet fish with yellow fins is most likely a Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I don't like plecos I think they are scarey. I had a large one but my cichlids still picked on the poor thing and that is why I gave it away. My algae is one my decorations and spotted on the sides of my tank. it's not horrible but it does look bad. someone suggested certain types of ottos. would they work?

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
otto's are bite size snacks to mbuna.

just a little notice, bristtlenose are not like common pleco they stay much smaller.

I have a chinese algae eater with my mbuna thats something you can try.

or you can just get an algae scraper.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Get an algae scraper or get over your fear and buy a bristlenose pleco. I've used those before and males can be especially tough. I'd put in a small cave though so anything you do have can get away if it needs too. I think an algae eater would get its stomach ripped out before the first night. Just a thought though. And an oto would not only get eaten, but would probably push those sharp little pectoral spines through the throat of you fish, killing the cichlid as well.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
If the algae is just on decoration and the glass i would suggest using a razor blade to clean the glass and jsut taking the decorations out and scrubbing them.

Mbuna tanks aren't good places for algae eating fish. If you were to ask this on a african site they would tell you the same thing, BN plecos are about your only bet. ANd since your other pleco already got picked on any new fish you add(including a BN pleco) will most likely get picked on too.

Best choice is an algae scrapper and some elbow grease.

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Another question. If my cichlids picked on my huge pleco wouldn't they just eat a small bristle nose pleco? This doesn't make sense to me. They'll try to eat that pleco, and other algae eaters but a bristlenose pleco is ok? :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store