How fast do plecos grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
It all depends on how much they eat and how much room they have. The bigger the tank and more there feed the faster they grow less room and less food the slower they grow less food big tank they will grow slow. This is pretty much the same for the bristle I would imagine

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
my pleco is about 1" or so, in a 20gal. tank and i feed him sinking shrimp pellets, sometimes blanched lettuce and he eats algae i think. i would say he has plenty of room for now and is well fed, what would you say his rate of growth will be...per say a month....in these conditions?

Doublette90

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Our Common Pleco was 2 inches when we got him 8 months ago. Just measured him today and from nose to the tip of his tail he's 9inches. He's in a 120Gallon, loves Zuchinni, shrimp pellets, algae wafers and whatever he gets off the glass and plants.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
I must have a mutant pleco, he started out as a itty bitty maybe .5' guy, and grew to what he is now, 3-4' long healthy fish. It only took him 2-3 months to get this big, lol.

uh, perhaps I am confused between inches and feet, lol, INCHES I MEAN, lol, INCHES

just for the record, yes I have seen a 4 foot pleco, it was for sale at my lfs, still for sale come to think of it, was a giant thing, lol

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store