Possibilities of Breeding.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
I have been enjoying the hobby of keeping fish. But the thing is, I find that I am much more amused by this hobby when I have something that I need to fix, or need to figure out. So, rather than waiting and enjoying when my fish get sick or something (though hoping I dont get them sick at the same time) I have decided that maybe I should try breeding something!

I have already figured out where and how I want to make a basic set up since breeding doesnt typically require too much, in fact more things complicates things it seems.

My problem is that I can not decide what I wish to breed, So i will list my current cannidates that I have thought of to this point, most of which I currently possess and would only need to find mates for, others, are just interests at the moment. Give me your thoughts, no matter how off the wall, worse i'm gonna do is say its not going to happen.

1. Guppies, not the most exciting, but I currently have a breeding pair that has colors that I would like to get to eventually breed true maybe.

2. Angels, I currently have striped hybrid angels, which are cool, but there are soooo many options of angels.

3. Aussie Desert Gobies, Pretty freaking cool in my opinion, I only have one, I want more.

4. Albino Bristle Nose Teminicki, What can I say? they are just kinda cool.

5. Albino Cory, I enjoy them, especially when they bury their faces in my sand substrate.

6. Fill in the blanks!:headbang2:

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Whatever you decide, make sure you have a plan on what to do with the fry. Will your LFS take them for credit? Since you enjoy planning, take into consideration that you will need additional tanks and equipment to care for the fry. Culturing live food might be necessary to condition the breeders (brine shrimp, worms etc.), and other live foods necessary to raise healthy fry (newly hatched brine shrimp, microworms). Good Luck!

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
I have already thought out most of the equipment needs for breeding, I have a small room that I can use as a "fish room" its not a good viewing area, but it will work very well for keeping it the temperature I need, and has about as much room as I need to make a rack to hold a few breeding pair tanks and a few grow out tanks. If i do guppies, I pretty much have a giant mental plan for it.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I raised White Cloud Mountain Minnows and it was a lot of fun. They are very easy to breed - they spawn constantly. They also come in a long finned variety which is really pretty.

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
White cloud minnows may be an interesting possibility, but it would have to be the long fin variety, I find I like two things in fish a lot, Albino, and Long fins lol.

After researching Bitterlings... that would be a trip lol. though at the same time that would probably not be a horribly easy thing to accomplish, keeping mussels alive, and then managing to sell babies off without the almost parasitic mussel offspring attached to their gills.

I have also been considering Pea Puffers.

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
Lol, I knew someone would pop off with zebra pleco. I dont have the several hundred dollars to buy a breeding pair of those things, I would really love to due to the fact that you can barely ever find them anymore, but the wife would absolutely murder me for spending that much on fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store