Goldfish Article

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
I'm writing an article on goldfish and I need some help from you guys! Fill in the blanks or correct me on any of this (it's only my graphic organizer/planning notes)! Here's the document:

And this is a chart I made. Fix whatever is wrong... lol:

EDIT: the chart didn't work right... Can someone help make one? It had all the goldfish types and their tank requirements/ adult size. Thanks. :)

Thank you everyone! :D

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
Oops! sorry, here it is:

Points to cover:

-Types
- Attributes
- Compatible tank mates
- Tank Size
-Tank set-up
-Feeding

Types of goldfish

SINGLE TAILED

Shubunkin
Comet
Common

DOUBLE TAILED

Jikin
Wakin

FANCY

Oranda
Bubble eye
Ryukin
Fantail
Veiltail
Ranchu
Lionhead
PomPom
Black Moor
Eggfish
Pearlscale
Demekin
Celestial

Attributes

Compatible tank mates

*Other goldfish (Don't mix fancies and single tailed. ST are faster and will take all the food.)
*Other coldwater species (larger- they will eat anything that they can fit in their mouths, such as rosy reds)
*axolotls- if you want amphibians

Tank Size

Fancy- 30 gallons are needed for the first fish, then 10 gallons for every additional one.

Single-tailed- 55 gallons for 2.

Tank Set-Up

~ Over-filter the tank- Goldfish are extremely messy! Ex. - 30g tank= 60g (or more) filtration.
~ A heater is not needed but it is recommended to keep the temperature from fluctuating drastically.
(Recommended décor)
= A dark color substrate to set off the beautiful colors.
= Sand- this is controversial. Goldfish constantly sift through the substrate for food, and with gravel, a stone could get caught in their throat which would be difficult or impossible to remove. If sand is ingested, it will pass right through their system with no damage done. (This is why some people prefer sand.) But, if you have a fine gravel, or a gravel that is too big to fit into their mouths, it will be fine. But take care in choosing substrate.
= Plants- Most plants that are placed in a goldfish tank will become an instant salad bar. But, there are some certain plants, such as anubias, that will remain untouched by goldies. Fake plants are also an option here as with any tank and sometimes can prove to be a lot less hassle. Go with silk plants if you have bubble eye goldfish.
= Decorations- Anything is accepted here. The only concern is bubble eyes, which need smooth stones or non-sharp objects because of their “bubbles”.

Feeding

ST- Flakes are OK. Pellets are better
Fancy- Pellets only. Over time, the fish will take in too much air at the surface from eating flakes that it may cause dropsy, which is normally fatal.

Last edited:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Fancy- Pellets only. Over time, the fish will take in too much air at the surface from eating flakes that it may cause dropsy, which is normally fatal.

I don't know abouit it "causing dropsy". I do know though that with flaked food, or other food which promotes them to feed at the surface may cause problems with their swim bladder as they grow.

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
I don't know abouit it "causing dropsy". I do know though that with flaked food, or other food which promotes them to feed at the surface may cause problems with their swim bladder as they grow.
I wasn't really sure on that one. I've just heard people say that it could be a cause.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store