Decoration I bought Smells Horrible

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
I bought this Egyptian vase decoration for Fresh and saltwater fish. From an EBAY store online. It came in the mail today and is the same exact thing as the LFS sells but I bought it much cheaper from EBAY. Anyways.... I'm not sure if it's the plastic or what it is but it stinks HORRIBLY bad. I have soaked it all day in extremely hot water , I sprayed it with vinegar nothing helps get rid of this smell. It's not a plastic or paint smell but it's like something chemical I dont' know what the smell is but it's not getting much better.
The tag says made in China. GGGRRR which I never would have wasted my money if I had known that.
What should I do now? It says it's aquarium safe but I am having my doubts. Should I just toss it? Will the smell affect the fish? It's been soaking all day in hot water so anything on it would have been washed away by now. I dumped the water and refilled lots of times hoping it would soak off or wash away.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Sharon in Minnesota

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Try bleach but make sure you rinse it many times afterwards.

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
I dont have a dishwasher that's why I tried the soaking in Hot Hot water. I could try boiling it in water on the stovetop.
I'm afraid to use the bleach on anything fish related that's why I tried the vinegar but it didn't help.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I use bleach on just about everything, if you think it could do harm than don't use it, better safe.....:)

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
I'm thinking tonight after kids in bed, and house is restored to peace. I will put it in a pan of water and boil it for a long long time. That way if something is going to come out of it into the water it should happen at that point I would think.
If the smell is still there just as bad I will definately try the bleach tomorrow. I could soak it all day in bleach and water and rince it like 25 times and then if needed boil it again LOL.
By then anything and everything would be out of it for sure, and if it still smells bad, I might not even think about using it ever. I could maybe sell it in a garage sale LOL.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Sounds good, 1 cup bleach to 6 cups water is the ratio i use, then rinse well.........:)

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Id probably soak it in bleach first, then soak it in water with dechlor in it.. Do you know what it smells like, is it a smell that you have ever smelled before?

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
I've never smelled it before but it's strong like a chemical but doesn't wash off.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
If it's plastic or resin be careful that you dont melt it on the stove!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store