how active should ghost shrimp be??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

darkmindzz

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
so i bought about 6 ghost shrimp so they can handle my janitorial work on the bottom of the tank.... problem is they are like on a super extended vacation..

in my planted tank .. i have yet to see any of them ..well i saw one of them yesterday.. but briefly... are they nocturnal.... or what.. i mean i have sat my butt in front of the tank for extended periods of time looking for them and i cant see them inside my tank..

do they like to chill with the bush area of me tank or what.... where are they..
i just dont get why out of 6 shrimp i can find one..

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
What size tank is this? What are the parameters? I see about 10 of them at a time in my 30 gallon tank where I have about 30 of them.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
What size tank? Is it heavily planted? What are the other inhabitants?

darkmindzz

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
it is a 40g tank.. moderately to almost heavily planted tank.

fish invcluded danios, gaouramy, ram, rasboras, and ottos

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
With a 40g tank and heavy plants, you won't see much of 6 ghost shrimp. I see up to 6 or so of mine at once in my 10g, and I know I've got at least 12 in it. Get more, or wait for the ones you have to breed maybe :p

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
The shrimp are also going to be hiding from those fish, which instinctively see the shrimp as food.

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
i had ghost shrimp once and i could never find them because i would look right through them lol they're invisible!

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
i had 12 in my 30 gallon and never saw em once... so i moved em to a shrimp only tank :D there fun little critters to watch when theres no preds(fish) after them

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
If you only have 6 in a 40 gallon tank with predatory fish, no wonder you never see them. Either get more if you want to see them, or like evelyn said, get a shrimp only tank.

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
I have a half dozen ghost in with my platies. They are very difficult to see except at feeding time. Then they come out of nowhere and bouce around all over the tank. They're fun to watch when you can see them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store