possible to control and maintain 5.5 ph?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wigglejaggles

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
north tonawanda, ny
Visit site
Hey Now all,

I want to keep a south american soft acidic water habitat. I wonder how hard it is to maintain a low ph. Anyone have any experience in doing this? If I use ro/di water that will start me out at 7. I am thinking of using diamond black under ada soil...to make the water yellow and soften it up and lower ph. Using pressurized co2 with a ph controller should get me down to 5.5? The one thing I am worried about is keeping the KH stable. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Shoot for a minimum KH of 3-5 degrees. You could run the water through peat to soften and add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to raise the KH. As for specific levels it's really up to you. I know schizo was trying hard to maintain similar water...hopefully they'll pop in for some first hand experience...

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I wouldnt worry too much about trying to keep the water soft or acidic if isnt naturally from your tap that way. Because unless the fish is wild caught or your having trouble getting the fish to breed, then the extra effort isnt needed.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Just keep the KH low and the pH will naturally follow. Keep the GH low as well to replicate the conditions. Concentrate on KH and GH and pH just tags along.

nycman

AC Members
Mar 12, 2017
Old thread I know, but question for me today...

I have a 200 with automatic CO2/PH controllers using Apex and electronic regulators. Which is preferred - you target a specific PH 24by7, or turn it off at night and allow it to creep up, creating a daily fluctuation?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store