5gallon Stocking Suggestions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chatters

AC Members
Jan 9, 2007
Been awhile since I've asked this question.

I have a 5gallon Eclipse Corner.

Looks like this:

Dimensions: 15.5"L x 10.5"W x 14.5"H.
Capacity: 5 gallons

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752372

This tank has been stable for over 2 years now.
current stable rates (25% water changes ~every week)
nitrite : 0.0
nitrate: 10.0ppm
Ammonia: 0.0
pH: 7.8
Currently have 502 heater as well.

I did have 3 Red minors in this tank, but they have sadly passed away.

Right now 1 otto remains from the two. Hes been alone for about 7+ months.

Currently looking for idea of what I can stock in this. I won't be upgrading the tank until about a year from now (which will be about a 29g long, could go larger if the wife lets me :) ).

Also looking at getting some drift wood and live plants (not sure what yet just thinking ground cover and 1 background plant) Currently have a 10W Florescent 51000k Light.

Currently the only idea's I think that will fit in the 5gallon is a betta, not sure if he will bother the otto?

I'd rather not go a betta, if I can go other. Been banging my head as a 5gallon always seems like a challenge to stock.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
its a pretty small tank, and considering ottos like to be in groups maybe he should be relocated. i would personally go shrimp but you have a few more options

chatters

AC Members
Jan 9, 2007
its a pretty small tank, and considering ottos like to be in groups maybe he should be relocated. i would personally go shrimp but you have a few more options
Yeah he had a buddy, not sure why the other one didn't make it. But otto's can be pretty picky.

Damodred
Yeah I read both of those before, I was looking at
Stocking 3
5 neons- one of the "perfect" community fish. Neons stay small, but they like to be kept in groups.
12 ghost shrimp... a favorite of 5 gallon tanks :D

but it seemed way to much for a 5g. Also mine being a corner and already having a otto.

I've never had shrimp, assuming they don't factor to much into stocking??

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
i keep least killifish, some of my favorite fish. IME you could keep quite a few in a 5 g, but they breed faster than guppys

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Oooh, those little guys are gorgeous! I've never seen them before... Let me know if you ever find some for sale online! As far as the neons and shrimp being a lot for your tank, you could always add the neons with your Oto (if you don't decide to rehome it) without the shrimp. Alternatively, if you rehome the Oto you could add 6 shrimp instead of a dozen.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I would recommend taking the oto into the LFS and taking a look at these fish: Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila), Celestial Pearl Danios (Danio margaritatus), Scarlet Badis (Dario dario), Clown Killifish (Pseudepiplatys annulatus), or perhaps some microrasbora species such as those found at franksaquarium.com.

Shrimp are another possibly. THere are quite a few different species of shrimp available nowadays from ghost shrimp to cherry shrimp to neon yellow shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store