Polaris and Sirius... Midnight Shubunkins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Thought you all might be interested in seeing a rather rare variety. I only know of a couple breeders currently working on true Midnight Shubunkins. It is one of the Goldfish Society of America rare breeds, first developed by the (late) owner Ernie at Hunting Creek Fisheries.

Sprocket and Alexei will be off soon to live with Susan (Kashta) in Las Vegas, and this pair will be taking their place. I had contacted breeder Gary Hater last summer about getting a midnight when I heard he might still have some available. He told me he would have some in the winter, and when I emailed him again in November we arranged payment and shipping for one after the holidays.

They arrived last week and are getting ready to go through a prazi treatment with the rest of the tank. I also received about 12 midnight fry of barely 1/4 inch long, who are in a 10 gallon and already eating like pigs.

I only asked for one fish, but he sent me an extra, plus the fry, and I can't say I'm upset, haha! I'd have a whole pond full of these beauties if I could. In fact, I may need one! Since the little blue matt (he may be midnight blue, but he's not a Midnight) I bought the other day was named Eclipse, I decided to keep with the theme and name these two after the North star and a prominent southerly star. Polaris is the lighter fish with the patch over one eye, Sirius the darker fish.

I'm currently working on an article on the history and breeding of Midnight Shubunkins, so look out for it in the near future. It will include photos of this pair's parents, other adults of the line, videos, etc.

Please excuse the poo. They are big pigs.

These two are very young yet and will take a few years to "finish," like koi and other shubunkins. Their patterns will thicken up, with the black becoming richer and darker, the white more pearlescent, and the pattern edges sharper.

These are the parents:

Parent photos courtesy our very own David Lains (Ichthius) / www.goldfishgarage.com

dog_gone07

Feesh
Jan 2, 2009
CT, USA
they are beautiful fish, and you take great pictures, I love the black background against their coloring

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Very nice fish!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name