Read This Post Before Getting Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Thank you all. for all of this. I am very new to aquaria, and I am very nervous about what to put into my new tank. The puppy/rattlesnake analogy was perfect!

SunshinePuppies

AC Members
Dec 23, 2008
Beleive it or not, a great dane is one of only a few breeds of large dogs that is ideal for apartment living. I've researched, and I am a professional trainer.

Reactions: Hapless1

SunshinePuppies

AC Members
Dec 23, 2008
sorry but I posted the above message as soon as I read the OP's post cuz it upset me. I've done alot of research on breeds and their ideal living situations.

And once I had a fish store sell me 2 Oscars for a 5 gallon tank. I later bought 2 20 gallons. They did well in them for a while, but I eventually had to give them to a freind with a 100 gallon.

RachelRae

AC Members
May 15, 2009
I feel so bad... i received 2 cichlids as a graduation gift, and the 2 of them are still in their 10 gallon tank. i am buying a 40 allon this week becaus ei feel like such an awful fish mommy :(. i would never buy a great dane for an apartment and i feel bad that i am doing that to my fishies

Shortichick43

AC Members
Aug 11, 2009
I hate that they even sell Oscars at Walmart because so many people think that its ok to get them.. then have no clue what to do when they get huge... Actually at the St. Louis City museum they have a poster on the wall talking about that exact thing. asking people not to purchase them because of how big they get.

minka-1974

AC Members
Sep 15, 2009
Surrey, England
I agree with all these comments. I have been given bad advice by aquarium shops in the past eg the fish will stop growing once they run out of room (just sounded cruel to me!) but also have to stop myself from making bad decisions when I see a fish that I would really like but know that it won't go with the fish I already have. I would love a knife fish as I think they are gorgeous but only have a 48g tank so know it wouldn't work

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
there have been a lot of good comments and some not so good in this thread. i've raised fish off and on for 40 some years. seen some really bad LFS and some really good.. the worst part is the demise of the small privatly owned shops that really cared about thier stock and their customers...

sunny09

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2010
england
Its nice to know there are people out there who care about fish. I don't agree with any animal cruelty and that includes fish. Me and my boyfriend are looking into getting a fresh water aquarium and even though we can't start saving for it for about 6 months we are doing all the research we can already. We are hoping to get atleast 90 litres and hopefully have a male betta splenden so wouldn't dream of buying anything until we have fully looked into it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store