how can I raise the hardness of my water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Crushed coral in a media bag is the easiest way or if you want more control, baking soda added at each water change.

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
lol..well congrats I hadn't noticed!:bowing::bowing:(it is def. well deserved)

ok I know the baking soda for the ph, my ph says it is 7.8 so if I add the baking soda then it will raise the ph is that the same as hardening the water. I see the acidic and alkiline but my strip test for the harness of the water says soft and ph is 7.8 (liquid says 7.8 ph, but have no liquid gh test kit just a strip) have I confused anyone yet!
oh also can I just add a few plaster of paris blocks in, I have a few I made already, will that raise anything??

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
chazgirl bakingsoda will raise your ph and your kh but not your gh if i understand it right and you will have to add it with every water change adding the crushed coral will raise the gh too and keep your ph from swinging

and BTW congrats rachel well deserverd

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
The snails need carbonate hardness (kH). It would be very unusual for you to have soft water with a pH of 7.8. I would recommend picking up a liquid gh/kh test kit, they are only like $5 from kensfish or from a store and give much more accurate results as well as a good explanation of what it means.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
almost any LFS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store