Beta With PineCone scales?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Just looked into my community tank... I noticed that my female beta is looking a bit sickly.. she was swimming kinda vertically

upon further investigation.. I noticed that her cheeks are a bit puffy and her scales look like pinecone

any ideas? what should I do? I dont really have a place to QT her accept for a fishbowl she could live in temporarily

my QT tanks are FULL of fry... my lab and 2 guppies all dropped fry today

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
sounds like it may be the beginning of dropsy

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i agree. only case of dropsy i ever had to deal with, knock on wood, started just like that. yet i wasn't successful in saving the fish.

i'd put her in the bowl and medicate if you think she may have a chance. i don't think the survival rate of dropsy is very good, but i do wish you luck!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
well I have her quarantined in a 10g right now... forgot I had it lying around

Water params are as follows

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5
GH- 150
KH- 180
PH- 7.8

She is in a 10g alone right now.. but when she was in the 55g she was with mollies, platies, guppies, cories, a lone tiger barb and some snails

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Also.. I cant get her to eat anything at all-- which is very unusual for this beta as she is a pig

so I dont think I will benefit from the pea method here... also the swelling seems more in her head/neck than in her abdomen right now

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'd be betting it's dropsy. same deal with mine, along with the swelling and funny swimming, she totally lost her appetite.

when yours swims in her 'vertical' position, does she do so in a darting manner some? like swims, then darts, then swims, then darts?

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
yes that seems to pretty well describe it... acts like she is sleeping-- then all the sudden will move away quickly and sit in a new spot

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
yep, dropsy for sure. i'd be prepared for a loss here, but i have heard of a few cases where the fish got through it, but that may not have been 'true dropsy', the articles stated. keep us posted!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store