Balanced tank with a lot of plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lam4305

Registered Member
Sep 26, 2006
I have been trying to set up a tank in which the plants can take up all the wastes of my fish. It seems to be working now. There has been no water change for 8 months and the fish seems doing fine. Below is a picture taken two months ago. I have read before that an awful lot of plants are required to support a reasonable fish load, but I cannot find the mention of the actual amount needed. So here is my experience which may be interesting for others who wants a more balanced aquarium. My tank is 22 liters with 16 small fish like tetras, 6 cherry shrimps and many small snails. I feed my fish once everyday. It is heavily planted inside. More importantly, I opened the cover of the filter on top of the aquarium and grow from the ceramic rings there a few long branches of pothos, which have a total length of roughly 10 meters. There is no other filter medium besides the rings and the plant roots. The whole thing is about 5 meters from the window but the pothos still get some sunlight late in the afternoon. The nitrate level is around 40 ppm and I can not lower it any further. So, it really takes a lot of plants to consume all the fish wastes even for my small tank. I am lucky to have somewhere to hang them all.

090308_102917.jpg

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
wow. that's all I can say 'bout that... really nice. I am assuming that either you are a teacher or just a big fan of math (going with the former assumption...) I bet your kids love that tank.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
very nice lil planted tank! and i love the vines.

i would wonder about the no water change for 8 months thing. aren't you concerned that various minerals, etc are not being replenished as would normally happen with a water change?

kalabreeze

AC Members
Sep 11, 2008
USA
Looking great! I like the idea of balanced aquarium but I think I would be too chicken not to change water in my aquarium for 8 months. Do you add any plant fertilizers?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
If you do start doing water changes any time- you'd probably need to start off small not to kill the fish.

lam4305

Registered Member
Sep 26, 2006
I dose seachem flourish and excel. Together with the fish food, I hope that's sufficient. The pothos and my easy-to-grow aquatic plants thrives. But my lucky bamboos stopped growing recently and I wonder if it is because of the lack of minerals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store