ID this anemone please ...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
hi
can anyone id this anemone please , and how should i feed it , i tried feed him some raw shrimp and didn t succeed seems the clown take good care of it and feed him but i donno if it s enough for him , cuz even when the clown try to give him some food it doesn t react anything ! should it ? but i saw it poop twice !

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Looks like a very sickly "mystery" Heteractis species. Some might say H. malu, but that's not really what it is. Nobody has really identified them so far that I am aware of. Interestingly, these also come in yellow colors that actually seem to be natural and not dyed (some may be, however).

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I don't know what it is but I sure would like to have one!! That's nice!

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
thanks abunch for replies ..
when i saw this anemone the clarkii that i wanted to buy was in there and dominated it , so i bought it too with the clarkii ... that day the owner wasn t there and the seller knows nothin bout it and told me just to feed him once a week with raw shrimp . and nothin more !
it s a few week and he doesn t eat .. :( i tried to feed him with some shrimp but i didn t see any reaction from him , even when the clarkii wanna feed him , he doesn t react any an the poor fish have to put the food 10 times in the anemone mouth and he still unloose it :( ..
till 2 days ago i asked the owner and he told me the anemone is : beaded sea anemone (heteractis aurora) i searched on net and it wasn t looks like that so i called the LFS owner again but he was pretty much sure about the name ..
so what do u think ?
why he doesn t eat ?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
That sucks, usually anemones react quickly to food. I don't have experience with that type of anemone but the ones I did have I used to thaw some mysis cubes in a cup of tank water and then turn off the flow in the tank and use a turkey baster to gently squirt food all over the anemone. It would always react and close up quickly though.. always used to be a laugh because it looked like it was licking its fingers clean when it put the tentacles in its mouth to suck the mysis off the tips.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
It sure sux ..
always used to be a laugh because it looked like it was licking its fingers clean when it put the tentacles in its mouth to suck the mysis off the tips.
lol ..it must be fun :)
i know that poor creature starving .. but nothin i can do .. is it a general range of temp for anemone or it s vary depend on specie .. ?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Nope, not H. aurora, either. Beyond the tentacles, it doesn't really fit the characteristics of H. aurora.

Most species available will do best at around 82 degrees. Some prefer slightly warmer temps (namely Cryptodendrum adhaesivum)

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
Nope, not H. aurora, either. Beyond the tentacles, it doesn't really fit the characteristics of H. aurora.
yup that s what i thought .. thnx
Amphiprion said:
Most species available will do best at around 82 degrees. Some prefer slightly warmer temps (namely Cryptodendrum adhaesivum)
thnx again , that s what my temp is exactly is ...
donno what to do . is there anything i can add in the water so it can replace the food for him ?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Try to see if it eats pieces of fish or crustacean flesh. Just make them small and hope for the best. Keep all the other parameters where they should be, as well. I can't tell from the pic, but is its foot attached? IF so, that is a good sign--if not, then the opposite.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
Try to see if it eats pieces of fish or crustacean flesh. Just make them small and hope for the best. Keep all the other parameters where they should be, as well. I can't tell from the pic, but is its foot attached? IF so, that is a good sign--if not, then the opposite.
i tried to do that but no reaction from him , i talked to lfs and the owner said it doesn t eat much and that much that clown give it is enough .
and yes he has a orange like foot , he walk around the tank several times the few first days but after that he attached itself to that rock since now .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store