Betta & Rainbow Shark Coexsist?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
Ok question. I am worried about my betta not being warm enough. I brought him home yesterday and used old gravel from my 10 gallon and put it in his bowl and also used water from my 10 gallon. He seemed to be doing ok swimmin around having a good old time, yesterday I tested his water before I went to bed Nitrites0 Ammonia.25. He was acting kinda sluggish today not like when I first put him in. Tested again Nitrites0 and Ammonia.25 . I did a water change to keep the ammonia down.

Can I temporarily put my betta in with my rainbow shark? My shark barely ever comes out of his log and I used to have 2 black skirt tetras in there before they passed away and they seemed to do ok. Next week I would be able to possibly purchase a 5 gallon or more tank for his permanent home. Which brings me to another question. Anyone know of a good 5+ gallon tank that would be good to house a betta in? I can't have another 10 gallon though, there's no room so just keep it under 10 gallons.I love the look of the BiOrb but it's just way to expensive.

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Ok question. I am worried about my betta not being warm enough. I brought him home yesterday and used old gravel from my 10 gallon and put it in his bowl and also used water from my 10 gallon. He seemed to be doing ok swimmin around having a good old time, yesterday I tested his water before I went to bed Nitrites0 Ammonia.25. He was acting kinda sluggish today not like when I first put him in. Tested again Nitrites0 and Ammonia.25 . I did a water change to keep the ammonia down.

Can I temporarily put my betta in with my rainbow shark? My shark barely ever comes out of his log and I used to have 2 black skirt tetras in there before they passed away and they seemed to do ok. Next week I would be able to possibly purchase a 5 gallon or more tank for his permanent home. Which brings me to another question. Anyone know of a good 5+ gallon tank that would be good to house a betta in? I can't have another 10 gallon though, there's no room so just keep it under 10 gallons.I love the look of the BiOrb but it's just way to expensive.
Thankfully you are going to get him out of that bowl! Bettas actually need at least 3 gallons, its a common misconception that they can live happily in small containers. I keep a betta with a rainbow shark. They coexist perfectly. They ignore each other LOL. I do have other fish in the tank as well though but I think it will be fine.

Off topic: I have a 3 gallon eclipse that I can sell you. It needs a new filter. Let me know if your interested...

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
So if I put my betta in with my rainbow shark and they seem to do just fine together could I leave him in there? I think he might be happier in the 10 gallon then a smaller tank. I mean if things to do go bad I will get him his own home but if it works that would be great.

Thank you sammy I will let you know if I end up needing that eclipse.

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
So if I put my betta in with my rainbow shark and they seem to do just fine together could I leave him in there? I think he might be happier in the 10 gallon then a smaller tank. I mean if things to do go bad I will get him his own home but if it works that would be great.

Thank you sammy I will let you know if I end up needing that eclipse.
Yup :) Just keep the light off for awhile when you first put the betta in to give them time to adjust. The light off helps to ease the stress.

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
Well that works out perfect then because the light on my tank died this morning lol!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
At 5-6" a full grown rainbow shark would need much more space than a 5 or 10 gallon as a permanent home. I would say 20-30 gallons minimum.

edit: I might have misread, and probably did because it happens often...what size tank is your shark housed in?

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
He's been in his 10 gallon for 3 or 4 years now. He doesn't ever come out of his log for long. Of course the petstore would say a 10 gallon would be perfect :wall:

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Yes, they get to be around 6'', but mine never got to reach that length.
I hated my shark, he killed off a few of my tank inhabitants due to his aggressiveness. Then I turned a hollow log on It's side and I never saw him, he kept in there ALL the time. He only occasionally harassed his tankmates after that.

For permanent reasons, I think they might work out. They only attack torpedo shaped fish, so absolutely NO tetras or anything else that vaguely resembles his shape (that might be why your skirts died). I'd think the betta is so distorted from his shape, he sees no reason to attack it.

Good luck!

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
No the skirts died of something else I'm sure. They died recently, they must have been around 3 years old. I am sure me not cycling my tank before adding 6 neons a rainbow shark and 2 black skirt tetras in there shortened there life by alot.

EDIT: This will not be a permanent solution for the betta I will get him his own tank. I've decided it's just not fair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store