Buying Bettas Online

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nak

AC Members
Mar 18, 2009
Does anyone know any good places to buy HALFMOON bettas online, that will ship to AUSTRALIA? None of the LFS over here ever have halfmoons in stock and i really want one but am having a hard time finding websites that a nice selection of halfmoons or that will ship to australia.

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
aquabid

Nak

AC Members
Mar 18, 2009
so from what i understand, with aquabid, i pay the seller the money for the fish and international shipping to their transhipper in australia. Then i contact their transhipper here in aus via email for details on domestic shipping?

VisionQuest78

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
Ithaca, NY
Yes, thats pretty much how it works. You pay the seller for the fish, plus a transhipping fee, which is generally around $7.00 per fish. Then once your fish arrives at the transhipper you arrange for delivery with them.

Hairechest

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Wes
All above is true. Unfortunately - I have found from personal experience AND most of my buddies - Unless you develop a relationship with your breeder, actually call them, get to know them, ect - there are a LOT of people overseas who do BAIT AND SWITCH.

It is very frustrating, but it just is. They show you a pretty fish, you buy it and then you get something similar but not the same. I have tried to explain that I am looking for very specific traits to breed into my line, not something they decide is good. Make sure you are getting the exact fish in the photo - and know what they will do and in what time they will do it (Refund - but remember, a refund doesn't refund your shipping - which in most cases starts at 25.00).

There are some proven breeder/shippers but remember this, even they get busy and then their kids or someone who does not pay attention to details, are doing the shipping. A close friend is a trans-shipper and she doesn't trust any of them anymore.

There is also a whole racket with selling someone else's fish. Everyone knows everyone else over there (I am talking about a specific country but not naming names). They have show competitions all the time. One person can take a photo at a show, post it online to see if anyone is interested - he gets a bite and goes to get the fish and it is already sold. They then buy a sibling and try to convince you it is the same fish. You are suckered.

Sorry for all the negative, but I highly suggest knowing breeders in your country. They exist, and can help you find out the best people to buy from (if not themselves). Consider yourself fortunate when you find someone you can trust, and stick with them. It is a hard knock life in the fish world sometimes.

I have had every scenario above happen and refuse to buy overseas again. It is easier to ask around in the online Betta community for a breeder someone is no longer using, or for a trait I am looking for but someone else is not - but it has turned up in one of their spawns.

If you just want a pretty fish as a pet, that is fairly easy to get. If you want one as breeding stock - by the time they look fantastic with huge fins - their best breeding abilities are already fading. A lot of fish will be listed as 3 months old (which is the perfect time to breed) - and that same fish will be listed for 3 months at the same age. I can tell you the exact birthdate of all my fish.

Those who are fortunate enough to live in a country when you can breed Betta in tubs on the ground year round outside - just throw fish together, and then hunt around in the weeds and have no idea how they achieved a certain trait. It is a hit or miss system, because it is easy to do.

Nak

AC Members
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for all the answers guys, i appreciate it, this is my first time buying live fish online so im just trying to read all i can on it. I'm lucky enough to have 5 LFS's within 5-20minutes of my area so ive never had to resort to online purchases but there just arent any places that sell halfmoons or local breeders that i know of.

Im excited about my first online fish purchase now, hopefully it doesnt become a new addiction otherwise i'll have to get more tanks... i've already 4 fish tanks in my bedroom alone ^^

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Have you talked to the lfs managers, sometimes they can make a special order for you if you don't need anything real specific.
I happened upon an over half moon at big box the other day, just out of the blue. First time I have ever seen one in an lfs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store