Silicone curing time?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
So last night I used some silicone to seal a DIY filter (and yes the silicone is fish safe). I applied the silicone at about 6:30 pm and I noticed that the silicone tube said to let the silicone cure for 48 hours. The instructions were for sealing a fish tank.

Do I have to wait until 6:30 pm tomorrow night to put the DIY filter into the tank?

Or can I just wait until tomorrow afternoon (about 1-3 pm) and then put the DIY filter into the fish tank?

Please comment quickly.

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
If the sealant carries no weight, or stress (or, an amount I would find worthy of an "early cure", perhaps a 24 hr cure is sufficient (the amount of acetic acid which would be leached into the tank, by the joints, after 24 hours, would be "insignificant", in my humble opinion, you logic it out as you see fit.))

If I re-caulked a whole tank, 48 hours seems within reason, and one which would give me peace of mind ...

Regards,
TA

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
The silicone is probably not holding much weight at all (if any). It is only being used as a sealant.

You mentioned acetic acid leaching out, would this harm my fish?

P.S. The sealant is 100% silicone.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I definitely am not going to wait 5 days longer than the instructions say. But I still don't know what acetic acid is and whether or not it will harm my fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Why the rush...if you can smell the fumes from curing..it is too early. Let the folks who do not use it decide what is safe for your fish?

The thickness of the application comes into play.

When you can't smell the cure..good...then wait another week.

Many tank manufactireers specify 3 months before filling with water on new tanks.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I was not using it to seal a tank. I was using it to seal a DIY filter. The rush is because tomorrow is the day I am removing the medicine from my Betta's hospital tank.

EDIT: I just checked and I don't smell anything coming from the silicone.

EDIT#2: What is acetic acid and will it harm my fish?

Last edited:

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
What I would like to know is this: would it be safe to put my 100% silicone sealed DIY filter into my hospital tank tomorrow?

The silicone is made by all-glass aquariums.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
IMO....I would not....but it is your tank and fish....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store