greech's Simple 40 Breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Hello AC! Seeing as I have 100+ posts here, I figured I would go ahead and start a tank thread here. I have been in the hobby since Feb 2009 but it feels a lot longer than that! I started with a pre-established 12 gallon Aquapod but upgraded to the 40 breeder in June. I have always been adicted to aquariums but this whole SW hobby has brought my obsession to a new level. I find myself reading and researching so much that I think I know more about keeping a reef tank than I do about my own job :)

Anyway, a few specs on my simple setup:

Hardware
-40 breeder tank
-Aquaclear 70 HOB fillter with surface skimmer attachment
-Two Koralia 2 powerheads
-36" Current Sundial T5HO
-150W Rena heater
-30ish lbs of LR
-20ish lbs of sand

I don't run a sump or a protien skimmer. My maintenance includes a weekly 10-15% WC using Brightwell's NeoMarine salt. I do run floss that I change out twice per week and Chemipure Elite in the AC 70. Future equipment additions include new T5 bulbs, adding a Vortech MP20 to replace my K2s and a HOB refugium.

Livestock
Black & White Ocellaris Clown
Cleaner Shrimp
CUC (2 Florida Fighting Conchs, blue hermits and various snails)
Frogspawn
2 Acan frags
Zoa frag (green and yellow)
Leptastrea (orange and purple)
Duncan
Ricordea (green and light blue)
Pipe Organ
Bright red Chalice
ORA Screaming Birdsnest
Orange Linkia star (didn't make it after the move and was a poor decision on my part to add anyway)

Been taking it slow with the stocking. I had a pair of clowns but the male came down with what appears to have been Brook about a month or two ago. He died within 24 hours of the symptoms showing up :( The female showed the same symptoms but I fed the tank like crazy and she pulled through like a champ. I am happy to report that she has never looked as good as she looks now. Ultimately I want 4 to 5 fish total. I don't intend filling the tank with coral frags as I want to leave room for growth but I still have plenty of space to fill in.

Here's a couple pics of the tank after moving things over from the 12 gallon (sorry for the crappy pics):

Here are a couple from this past weekend:

Thanks for looking.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
pretty cool
how much did it cost?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
beautiful tank...i've had the SW itch for a while...maybe one of these days :)
Thanks. Be careful, one you get started the itch becomes more like a mosquito bite that never goes away :grinyes:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Very nice. I'm working on actually reducing some of the equipment on my 40BR. I'm going for the minimal approach.

Ooh, I see lights in the reflection! Take a pic of that illuminated conifer!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
:eek:mg:Thats a lot of money

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Very nice. I'm working on actually reducing some of the equipment on my 40BR. I'm going for the minimal approach.

Ooh, I see lights in the reflection! Take a pic of that illuminated conifer!
LOL, My daughter picked out the smallest tree on the lot. It was perfect for her to decorate.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store