Does Ehiem make good heaters? I need input on this one.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

robotdeathsquad

AC Members
Jan 5, 2010
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a heater for my 20 gallon long tank. I was looking at the specs for this Ehiem heater. What do you think? Any other recommendations?

From Google:
"With a new improved design, this automatic aquarium heater is for both fresh and saltwater aquariums. Unit has a precision bi-stable thermostat with plus or minus 1/2 degrees F holding temperature. The temperature setting is an easy to adjust control dial with accurate 1 in. increments from 65 to 93 degrees . Ebo Jagers have a 2mm thick thermal shock resistant glass vs the common 1mm thickness for and extra sturdy construction".

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=75+eheim+watt+heater&cid=4717008368575587035&sa=title#p

Thanks! Input/Alternatives wanted! :thumbsup:

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
I have a couple of Jager heaters, a 50w and a 300w.

Both work well.

They are better than the average cheapo heaters. Thicker tempered glass tubes and better thermostats.

Yes they cost more, but they are better.

Ian

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I really like my Jager that I got used nearly 2 years ago. Works awesome! I've heard that they actually are submersible, but that the company put "do not submerse" on them in order to get the UL listing. I'm too paranoid to try it, but the source who said that said that he or she (can't remember who it was) does have theirs submersed and working fine.

I've heard that Theo Hydor are good too. IMHO, any of the major brands work just fine and it's just personal preference/experience that makes or breaks it. I've had Tetra heaters that worked fine too.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I use only Eheim filters. However, when it comes to the heater, the Rena stealth heater is my choice. I have 5 and they are absolutely precise and reliable.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I use the stealth heaters (plastic outside) because I am just too clumsy to have glass. I am very pleased with their reliability, they are super easy to set- like most now a days, completely submersable, and if I accidentally smack it off the glass, they bounce just fine :hitting:. Even 2mm of glass isn't much. Its still less than your average drinking glass. Besides, the plastic ones are black and most of my tanks have black backgrounds, so they ae less obvious

I almost forgot one drawback (in my book, some people may like the idea) they recently moved the light that indicates if the heater is running- now its actually a little LED inside the knob and it runs all the time- green when its not on, and red when it is. I find that a little annoying.

If you are not a klutz like me, go ahead and get glass.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Heaters

I use to really like the Jagers. I have had a couple of old green ones for years. (you need a penny to change the temp setting) Then Jager got bought by Eheim and I found the new models just not the same. They just seemed not to be as good or reliable as the older ones. The old ones never needed adjusting. The new ones needed adjusting every once in awhile.

Maybe it's just me. I still have the old ones running (bought mid 90's) in the mean time I had a few (3+) of the newer ones crap out on me (bought 2003 -2004) Boy did I give the local Eheim Rep and earful when he came by the store.

I replaced them with the Renas and the Via Aqua Titanium Heaters. The titanium are for the tanks with the more notorious heater braking fish in the 90 and 220 (Pike, Oscar, Bifasciatum, etc..)

The Renas were bought in late 2004 and are still going strong. Great heater.

The Titanium heaters are also great. I have had to fix both of them once each (blown fuse) which wasn't a big deal if you have some basic electrical knowledge and a soldering gun. I really like them.

I was told by the guy at the electrical parts store that the fuses that Via Aqua used were kind of cheap and I shouldn't have that problem anymore.
Cost of the new fuses 35 cents each and 15 minutes of my time. Well worth it in my book.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store