DIY Co2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kengel

AC Members
Nov 8, 2009
Could it be as simple as mixing ingredients in a 2 liter bottle and running tubing into the tank? I don't know much about this so this so it may seem like a dumb question =/.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
might have better luck with this question in the "planted" section.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
You need something to diffuse the co2. The pointy end of a chopstick shoved into the tube with a little of the chopstick sticking out of the tube works well.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
This is a pretty basic diagram of a DIY CO2 setup. You can choose to have 1 bottle, or two. The smaller bottle is a "bubble counter" or "separator", that you fill with water above the input line, and out the line to the tank, which stays above the water line. This allows you to monitor true flow outside the tank, and if any yeast mixture leaks through the tubing, it is deposited here, instead of in your tank. In the tank, you can use your choice of diffuser, whether it is a chopstick as mentioned above, a limewood airstone, or a reactor setup. the little nubby part (labeled "3") is a backflow preventer, or checkvalve, which prevents your tank water from siphoning back into the bottle. that is a must.
generatorcopycs5.jpg

generatorcopycs5.jpg

Kengel

AC Members
Nov 8, 2009
That diagram helps a ton, I think I'll do it this week. Could anybody describe what goes into a yeast mixture?

Thanks for all the replies! :D.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
That diagram helps a ton, I think I'll do it this week. Could anybody describe what goes into a yeast mixture?

Thanks for all the replies! :D.
Here is a good walkthrough (not mine): http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...cts/14453-diy-co2-guide-pictures-recipes.html

Instead of the juice container mentioned in the link I used a two liter bottle and it works great with my chopstick diffuser.

Also I did not make the bubble counter mentioned in the link, I just skipped that part.

dholowiski

AC Members
Feb 5, 2010
These type of setups scare the heck out of me. No matter how much planning you do, there is always the possibility of the bottle getting plugged and exploding (yuck), having all of the water siphon out of your fish tank (squish) or having the high alcohol mixture from the bottle empty into your tank.
It may cost way more, but I got a pressurized CO2 system that runs off of a paintball tank, and I can finally sleep at nights.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
These type of setups scare the heck out of me. No matter how much planning you do, there is always the possibility of the bottle getting plugged and exploding (yuck), having all of the water siphon out of your fish tank (squish) or having the high alcohol mixture from the bottle empty into your tank.
It may cost way more, but I got a pressurized CO2 system that runs off of a paintball tank, and I can finally sleep at nights.
With proper safety interlocks, you won't have any higher risk of water siphoning out of your tank as any other time you're using airline in the tank, nor will you have to worry about the mixture getting in the tank, if you build a proper gas separator.

I'm all about pressurized CO2, but I find DIY CO2 to be fun and somewhat fulfilling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store