Save an ugly betta campaign

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VickiesZoo

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
NW IN
Real Name
Vickie
I did this last fall. The cup was marked crowntail but you couldn't tell by looking at him. He was tiny! Way smaller than the others offered for sale. And very pale. But, when I looked at him close up under the plant lights, he looked me straight in the eye, moving his eyes back and forth. He looked so sad. That did it. LOL He is now a beautiful rainbow colored. I would have never guessed he'd get to be sooo pretty!

Kudos to all of you who take up the challenge!! I'm forcing myself not to buy anymore fish til I move in the next month or so. Now THAT is a challenge... for me. LOL

Reactions: Stefanie O'Dell

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I feel bad for every single fish, but if you want to make an impact you have to draw a line. There are a lot of amazing bettas available through local breeders and betta clubs. I'll personally spend more to know that the conditions they've been bred and raised in are what I consider "humane". Just my .02.
You make a good point.

I suspect that my experience mirrors what a lot of people go through when they first get into bettas. I was returning to fishkeeping after many years, interested for the first time in bettas, don't know any connections to breeders in the area, haven't found a fishkeeping club, much less a betta club, anywhere nearby ... Not really knowing where else to start, I'd been checking out the cups at every store that had them. Then one day I found two beautiful girls who wouldn't stop wriggling and staring right back at me. I caved. I bought them — even though I'd learned more by then about the bigbox stores, etc.

Do I hate supporting the bigbox store which is renowned for lousy fishcare? Yes. Do I regret saving two really wonderful fish that almost certainly would have suffered excruciating deaths if I'd walked away? Not for a minute.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
You make a good point.

I suspect that my experience mirrors what a lot of people go through when they first get into bettas. I was returning to fishkeeping after many years, interested for the first time in bettas, don't know any connections to breeders in the area, haven't found a fishkeeping club, much less a betta club, anywhere nearby ... Not really knowing where else to start, I'd been checking out the cups at every store that had them. Then one day I found two beautiful girls who wouldn't stop wriggling and staring right back at me. I caved. I bought them — even though I'd learned more by then about the bigbox stores, etc.

Do I hate supporting the bigbox store which is renowned for lousy fishcare? Yes. Do I regret saving two really wonderful fish that almost certainly would have suffered excruciating deaths if I'd walked away? Not for a minute.
I totally get that and that's the tough part. To know that helping on an individual basis actually hurts in the longterm is a tough thing to balance.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I agree for the most part about not supporting the way fish stores treat their bettas, however the only place that I can get a betta that is not in a cup is from a private breeder. I know of a private breeder that is a few hours from me but personally I'm not willing to pay $25(cheapest they have) for a betta not to mention the price for shipping. It would be different story if I was breeding, if I was breeding them then absolutely I'd want a high quality betta and I'd be willing to pay the price for it but I just won't spend that kind of money for a pet. I prefer to spend my money on high quality food for them. So I get what your saying I agree with it to a point.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Hopefully I'll be getting my ugly betta tomorrow! Really excited. I'll post pics when I get him.

swimmer24

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
Norcal/Boston
This is a really frustrating situation.. Obviously I would bring them all home if I could, but then the big stores would just buy more (under the same conditions).
But all in all, I think if you purchase an ugly betta (which I've done-he was all white and had pink and blue spots on him, like a funfetti cake haha) then it leaves the more "attractive" fish to be adopted.. and they have a higher chance anyways, right?

I also make a point to tell the employees at the stores that their bettas are living in poor conditions. Even if they don't do anything.. at least someone in the store might be hearing me.

HorseandBettaCrazy

Registered Member
Jul 2, 2017
I have never thought of doing that, I always get the pretty ones. I don't think I will ever be able to stop getting the pretty ones so I am going to try to get one ugly one and one pretty one(our store doesn't have many ugly ones). I usually keep to bettas. If there are any ugly ones that is. Another thing we could do is get expensive ones that nobody wants to pay for.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I bought a couple bettas for $ 2.99 each at Petco. Veil tails, which are less desirable, apparently.
The male is solid red, a beauty in my opinion, and he is happy as can be, exploring a 40 gallon community tank.
The first day was sketchy, as he did nip slightly at a couple tankmates at first, but by the second day he had mellowed out and is now a happy tankmate.
The female is in a 3 gallon tank which she shares with 3 male Endlers.
Like the male, the first day was a little scary as she chased the Enders a bit.
A couple days later and they all get along.

Anabantastic

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Real Name
Alyssa
I have acquired a lot of "ugly" bettas from places like Wal-Mart and Meijer that have ended up being absolutely stunning once they were put in a healthy environment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store