How often do you feed pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FiShNoObIe88

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
I have a about a 3inch pleco, it is one of the very small pleco for my 20 gallon and I was wondering how often you are supposed to feed them? I have been feeding my pleco once every couple days at night with 1/2 of an algae wafer. Is this too little?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Probably - I would feed 1/2 an algae wafer daily, at least. Depending on the age of the tank, you may not have enough (or any!) algae for him to graze on.

Other good things to feed are zucchini, cucumber, yellow squash, and dark leaf lettuce. Lots of other things you can try such as sweet potato and spinach, but these first four are the least problematic and most readily accepted, IME. If the seeds bother you on the cukes or squash just scoop them out.

Feed the cuke and lettuce fresh. Everything else I would nuke in the microwave to make it a little softer (10-30 seconds depending on how big a slice). To get them to sink, I impale the veg with a bamboo BBQ skewer and then weigh down the skewer with a heavy plastic clamp. Other people use forks, some use rubber bands and rocks...just find what works for you :)

Lastly, look in the Asian section of your grocery store for plain sushi Nori. I clip on strips of this with a plastic clothespin (which sinks, unlike the wooden ones) and all the fish - including plecos - like nibbling at it.

FiShNoObIe88

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
thanks for the advice. So i will definitely up how often I feed the pleco. I mean i do have algae but the pleco did a nice job of clearing it up and now there really is no algae.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Are you sure that your pleco is a vegetarian ? Not all of them are. And even if it is a vegetarian, it may need some protein as a supplement. I would do a little research and find out exactly what it's diet should consist of. Or, ask the forum, and give us a pic and/or name of the fish. Good luck.

lethalcustoms00

gearhead extrordinare
Jan 16, 2010
Gillette wyo
i agree with both pieces of advice given. fresh veggies every other day and a little protien are good suplements for a growing pleco.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I have a common pleco about that size and I feed him a sinking wafer each day, except when I want him to eat his veggies. He'll barely nibble on them and I usually have to pull them out of the tank.

All the fish go nuts for those wafers though. Even the ghost shrimp tries to steal it, all I see is the wafer walking across the tank. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store